Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I've been practicing all Winter

Real Name
    randy

I've been practicing all Winter

I have shooting from the comfort of my warm home in the frigid North. Unfortunately, this has meant shooting through a double pane window. Today then gods began to smile all of us in the Land of 10,000 Lakes (and a lot of thermal undies). Temps actually rose above freezing, the sun came out, snow began to melt, and stir crazy photogs burst forth from their dens.

I was quite pleased to find that the combination of feeding the birds faithfully since late October and being able to shoot outdoors in good light has paid off. Yellow rumped Warblers have returned and are grumpy -- chasing much larger birds from the favored maple.

400 mm Sigma, f5.6, 1/1000sec, iso 280

I have been observing this behavior for some time now, many of my feathered friends have been showing preference for the sugary sap of the maple. I believe that the extended cold and snow has put a lot of pressure on returning fowl and the sap is providing valuable energy for the birds

400 mm Sigma, f5.6, 1/1000sec, iso 500

As always I welcome your feed back
    Last edited by rtbaum; 24th April 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Real Name
    james

Re: I've been practicing all Winter

So glad you were able to get out and take some shots. Do the yellow rump warblers come to your feeder? I dont get any at mine but now and then I will see them in the woods. I have not had much luck photographing them. I hope it warms up up there.

Real Name
    randy

I have heard that they will feed on suet, but these seem to have more interest in the maple sap. We evidently are now going to go directly to Spring with no further fuss, forecast is for upper 60's this weekend.............hooray!!!!

Real Name
    Dan

Nice composition and exposure on the first image. Cute little guy.

Real Name
    Greg

Nice captures, Randy. I wonder if the first one would be better without that twig running across the top.

Something seems a little odd with the 2nd one - the bird's tail seems to be poking through that grey twig on the left.