Thread: The Next Canon

Real Name
    David Morton

The Next Canon

I keep hearing that a Canon EOS70D , a replacement for the 60D, is coming real soon.
    Am I hanging out for a something that may not exist?

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the possibility?

Real Name
    Robin

Re: The Next Canon

Depends on what you feel is 'missing' from the 60D.

Real Name
    Dan

The Next Canon

There are lots of rumors, but they are just rumors. However, if you google, you can probably find a translation of an interview with a top Canon exec in which he said in passing that there would be a replacement for the 60D. No one really knows when a replacement will arrive or what it will be.

Real Name
    Ian

....and as soon as it is released there will be rumours about an 80D or something else. Same goes for every other manufacturer. And bear in mind that not every new iteration will have additional features you need.

Make a choice and spend your money, otherwise you will sit on the fence instead of getting behind the viewfinder and shooting and that is what makes the picture...you!

Real Name
    mark

They will wait until you buy the 60D to release the 70D No matter how long you wait.

Real Name
    Richard

You realize that one day, eight hours and twenty-three seconds after the introduction of a new camera; all prevous models cease to work

OTOH... If you have a need which the present models don't satisfy, the replacement "might" just have the bell or whistle that you need...

Or it might not!

And... the price of the present model might go down after the new model is introduced.

But, you will have the advantage of shooting with the 60D or 7D or whichever camera you select if you buy now.

A compromise is to purchase a Canon Factory Refurbished Unit if available in Oz...

I absolutely LOVE my 7D and I am fighting the urge to sell some of my present equipment and purchase a second 7D (refurbished) for an upcoming trip to Venice, Greece and Istanbul... I have made up my mind that I am only going to purchase equipment after I have sold some of my previous gear. I don't expect the prices to initially drop more than that within a reasonable time after a new model is introduced.

I always shoot with two cameras and I have never had the luxury of shooting with two identical cameras.

Adorama of New York City has a refurbished Canon 7D available for $969 U.S. Dollars. Although I have purchased three Canon refurbished cameras in the past and have had absolutely no problems with any of them, I think that I might purhase the Adorama 1-year warranty (Canon warrants their refurbished cameras for 90-days) for an additional twenty U.S. Dollars. I would save more than that purchasing from Adorama since there is no shipping charge (to U.S. addresses) and no state sales tax which in my state would be almost $80 U.S. Dollars. The Adorama price is considerably cheaper than the Canon USA Store price plus, Canon charges shipping and state sales tax..
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 23rd April 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Real Name
    Lex

This is the latest from the 70D rumor mill. Current informed speculation is that it will be an 18MP APS-C camera with a DIGIC 5 processor, an alloy body, slightly increased burst rate (6.3fps), GPS, WiFi, and improved weather seals. Improved construction is the main advantage as far as I'm concerned, but unless the actual camera brings something more to the table than these rumors suggest, I'm not planning to break open the piggy bank.

I admit I have a weakness for rumors (gear nerd). The 7D mkII rumors are what I'm really curious about.

Real Name
    Dan

I've been watching the rumors too, waiting for the 7DII. However, personally, I don't place much stock in the details of the rumors. Remember the last round of rumors about the 7DII? It was supposed to be the entry level FF, according to the rumors. Well, it turns out that there was no 7DII in the works at the time, and the new entry level FF was the 6D, which is nothing like the 7D.

There are exceptions, but new models are often just marginal improvements to keep up with the competition. Some are more than that--e.g., 50D to 7D. It remains to be seen whether the 70D or 7DII, if and when they arrive, are more than marginal improvements.
    Last edited by DanK; 23rd April 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Well ladies and gentlemen... I pulled the plug on a second 7D for my trip. I have always shot with two cameras but, have never had the luxury of shooting with the identical cameras.

I will be selling enough Canon gear to pay for the 7D....

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I've been watching the rumors too, waiting for the 7DII. However, personally, I don't place much stock in the details of the rumors. Remember the last round of rumors about the 7DII? It was supposed to be the entry level FF, according to the rumors. Well, it turns out that there was no 7DII in the works at the time, and the new entry level FF was the 6D, which is nothing like the 7D.
    True, but the rumor mill was correct about an entry-level FF camera in the pipeline. Features and target market matter more than whether they get the name right. If there's an improved 7D coming (regardless of the name), I'm curious, because the 7D is already a close match to what I'd buy if I had the budget.

Real Name
    Robin

No brand is going to launch a spectacular new technology or include is huge leap in performance on a middle of the road amateur body so while its interesting to read rumours and I agree that speculation can be fun the next xxD body will be much the same as the last so really you should buy a 60D and go out taking pictures with it....the whole point of owning a camera in the first place....or save a little more and buy a 7D if you really feel you need the extra speed and superior build.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Well ladies and gentlemen... I pulled the plug on a second 7D for my trip. I have always shot with two cameras but, have never had the luxury of shooting with the identical cameras.

I will be selling enough Canon gear to pay for the 7D....
    That is going to be nice to have two!

Real Name
    Dave

Good luck to Richard with his matched pair . Incidentally, there seems to be another mismatch between American english and English english. If I "pull the plug" on something them I abandon it - so I was feeling sorry for Richard till I read the rest of his post!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Does anyone here have any thoughts on the possibility?
    Canon are releasing the (previously rumoured) EF 24 to 70 F/2.8L IS USM, because of the extreme backlash from disgruntled users who have not bought the piece of junk - EF 24 to 70 F/2.8 MkII USM and who are still waiting for the IS version.

Frivolous comments aside and more serious questions follow:
    1. What camera and lenses do you have now?
    2. What do you want to achieve with that gear.
    3. When you cannot achieve your goals – what, precisely are the limitation and the inhibiting factors of the gear you presently have?

WW

Real Name
    Dave

No

Canon's medium/upper range APSC cameras are getting on: 2009 (7D) and 2010 (60D). Although you wouldn't expect the same refresh rate as at the pure consumer/entry ranges, that is a long time. It would be very surprising if Canon's engineers hadn't been beavering away in the meantime (unless Canon have decided that mirrorless is the way forward!)

It is said that Canon's sensor technology has started to lag behind Nikon's (don't flame me. I don't know, just what folks say!). Both the above cameras also have the old Digic4 processing (dual in the case of the 7D): Digic 5 is said to be much faster, and to have better noise suppression.

In short, it seems unlikely that Canon can afford to let too great a gap develop.

3. When you cannot achieve your goals – what, precisely are the limitation and the inhibiting factors of the gear you presently have?
    I do have my answers to Bill's questions, but I won't bore you with them. They would certainly be met by either the 60D or the 7D. So why not buy now? Because I can live with what I have (600D), and when the "70D" does hit the streets, their prices will drop a lot. So I can either buy existing (but aging) technology and save $100's, or raid a piggy bank and splash out.

Dave

Real Name
    Kathy

I'm on the side of those who say there will be a 70D. But when it's coming and what features it will have are up in the air and anybody's guess. Rumor sites often have a whiff of wishful thinking in the numbers. The fact that the Powershot SX280 was announced with the Digic 6 in it could also add another delay if Canon decides to go with not only a new sensor but a new processor as well in their APS-C cameras.

The xxD and 7D lines are definitely getting long in the tooth. One would expect the 7DMkII, then the 70D, and then a 1200D, but rumors have mostly been flipping the 70D and 7DMkII.

Whether it's what you'll need or want, though, is a different issue. While it may have more bells and whistles than a 60D and presumably better performance, it will undboubtedly sport a higher price tag. The 60D today goes for around US$670 body-only. In 2010, when it was the latest model to be released, it MSRPed (body only) at $1100.

So, is that $400+ difference and wait worth the as-yet-unknown advantages of the newer model? That's what you really have to ask yourself. Camera prices depreciate even when new...