Thread: Free Lensing

Real Name
    Robin

Free Lensing

Watched a DigitalRev video last night and it rekindled a technique I played with at Uni but forgot all about.

In a nut shell you take the your lens off your camera and take pictures with it held in front. Move it about, twist it, turn it, knock it out of kilter....you get the idea...actually the whole idea is to get it as 'wrong' as possible.
    What you get it shallow DoF, blur, extreme macro, flair, lots of flair and a chance to see things a little differently.

At work today but I had a half hour play this morning at Gateshead Quayside before I started and grabbed a shot or two of the boys. Below are three I like and I'm getting the knack the more I take so tomorrow will be FL day.

Free Lensing

Free Lensing

Free Lensing

I used the Pentax K30 and a 50mm f1.7 for these. The lens was stopped down to about f4ish and I used Live View with Focus Peaking turned on. The peaking worked like a dream as you could see the focus area really well and could move it around the frame easily.

More to come.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Re: Free Lensing

Hey, cool. something different.

Btw, is that you with the eyeglasses.

Thanks

( ever had problems with dust entering your cam, how did you deal with it. TY )

Real Name
    Peter

I wonder if this works with all cameras, now that communication is cut off.
    My biggest worry would be getting dust on the sensor. I have to think about this, as it looks interesting.

Real Name
    Robin

I think it should work with any camera, some have to be in manual mode to fire but otherwise anyone could try it.

Dust wise I have noticed some of late but sensors are easy to clean so I'm not that bothered.