Thread: To Christina - Multiple Exposure:

Real Name
    Andre Burger

To Christina - Multiple Exposure:

Boredom overtook me and I started exploring functions on my camera again.

This is one (no two) of those shots taken with Multiple Exposure. First I took a shot of the flower and then a shot straight into the sun. No not that kind of sun, it was overcast and the sun was fighting to break through the thick cover of cloud. I could look straight into the sun and decided to take a shot. I think I should have done it the other way round. Will try again if the opportunity arises.

Christina this feature of doing Multiple Exposures is worth exploring. I will do some more experiments with it and keep posting more images shot like this.

I am thinking portraits with specific backgrounds.

To Christina - Multiple Exposure:

Real Name
    Christina

Re: To Christina - Multiple Exposure:

Andre, I think this photo is very pretty and has a very unique feel.. Thank you for sharing... I will file away in my brain for future. Only because right now I have more than I can handle to learn with my birds in flight and editing to learn.

The sun in a flower...

Real Name
    J stands for John

Really what is the point in doing relatively uncontrolled multiple exposures in the camera when we have the wonderful ability of the editing programme to do it with full control. In camera double exposure is a relic of how photographers largely had to work before the editing programmes arrived though I know one photographer who was combining photos long before he started shooting digital. Inherant in the process was an increase in contrast unless the film was flashed which was something I played with to better match film to TV requirements. Then a person with a natural affinity for making materials do things for him put the idea into practice and film shot by discerning production teams made its way to DNTV-2 for processing. Ray Englefield was that genius.

Really people should concentrate on learning the capabilities of their equipment rather than regurgitating unsatisfactory techniques from the past.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 22nd April 2013 at 03:55 AM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    Really people should concentrate on learning the capabilities of their equipment rather than regurgitating unsatisfactory techniques from the past.
    How easy it was in the days of film to do a double exposure. Just press the button to unlock the film advance and cock the camera for the next exposure. You should see what a Steve Sint can do with this technique.
    Concentrate on learning the capabilities of your equipment and you will reduce spending time in front of the computer, learning more capabilities of the equipment you use.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Andre, I think this photo is very pretty
    Let us agree to disagree on that one. I think it is I need to learn how to master that technique.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Andre and Photo Nut.

I appreciate learning new things possible both through in-camera and by editing. I prefer to get as much right in camera as possible but funnily enough I have learned a ton about how to get things right in-camera through my attempts to learn to edit, as by learning how to edit I've also learned how I could have done it better in camera.

Thank you.

Real Name
    J stands for John

While it is very easy to make the multiple exposures with film, depending on the shutter mechanism of the camera, as with most things when done in-camera it is an approximation rather than the precise positioning and balance that can be achieved in editing. The only time one has precise control is when one does it with mirrors which is a single exposure anyway. Another way would be using a large format camera and removing the slide holder between exposures with location marks on the ground glass.

It is rather unwise to concentrate on one tool to the exclusion of others which may achieve the result with less effort. Though it can be interesting and pleasurable to explore different ways of working.

The new Canon 5D MK III allows the multiple exposures option! It is a terrific learning process! See : https://www.google.com/search?q=mult...&client=safari
    and: http://petapixel.com/2013/04/17/tuto...n-5d-mark-iii/
    See Sarah Byrnes vid.
    Doing outside-the-box-photography requires risk-taking and NOT camera avoidance!
    Wayne