Thread: Contrails

Real Name
    Mark

Contrails

Contrails

On a recent tour of the eastern Sierras I encountered a problem that complicated getting the landscape images I wanted. I’m not sure what the climatic conditions are that favor contrails, but they sure can get in the way in some locales and under some conditions. Too much for my post processing skills. Just thought I’d share.

Real Name
    Roger

Re: Contrails

A friend of mine says that these are chemtrails which is a conspiracy theory I'm not buying it though, here's a link on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtra...spiracy_theory

Real Name
    Miltos

Mark the contrails are a fine subject by their own in this case.

It looks like you were shooting just bellow an air corridor.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Mark the contrails are a fine subject by their own in this case.

It looks like you were shooting just bellow an air corridor.
    Yes - a subject in its own right, but I like mountains better. Air corridor most probably - we were 100 mi south of Reno, here, so these NW traveling planes were headed into San Francisco and San Jose, probably. But these were an issue for another 100 miles south, though not always as dramatic as here. California has a lot of people!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The six parallel contrails on the left are so cool that, if it was my image, I would digitally remove the clouds and all other contrails.

By the way, the dark dots in the sky surely indicate a seriously dirty sensor, though I suppose Roger's friends might argue that they are UFOs.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Mike - but not the sensor as these are gone in all of many subsequent shots on this trip with similar expanses of sky in which to look for them. So, stuff on lens I think.(?) Dusty country.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Just to be safe, Mark, you might want to take a photo of the sky at the lens's smallest aperture to make sure your sensor isn't dirty.

Real Name
    Mark

I just did - but at f8, and after a cleaning, and there are a very few, very soft defects. It's a few month old D600, about a thousand shots in, and this may be the much discussed lubricant spotting that has turned up with these. I'll clean again, and do as you suggested, and take it from there. I can heal these out, but for what this cost, one should get clean skies, eh? Thanks again, Mike