Thread: A new paradigm developing in the photo industry

Real Name
    Mike

A new paradigm developing in the photo industry

Very interesting and seemingly accurate info graphic about the path of a photographer from fotoseeds.

Does this clarify the what people want to call themselves… An Amateur, Hobbyist or a Professional Photographer?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: A new paradigm developing in the photo industry

Spot on.

Real Name
    John

So we should become web designers instead? I still see the same slippery slope. Just insert web designer for photographer.

Very nice.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

I guess it depends on the viewer/reader. How he/she perceives him/herself.

Thanks for the interesting link.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I already have a day job doing something I love that pays poorly for the time and effort I put in, mainly because I all too frequently undervalue my services and give things away. I determined a long time ago I was not going down that road with my hobby and trying to sell my images on my own. I do sell some microstock, but the company I use is more than welcome to do the work picking the wheat from the chaff in my images then valuing and selling what they determine is marketable.

I am soon to set up a web page of my images. I have no intent to try selling off the site.

I have been done some shoots for the local SPCA and my relatives. I have determined I would rather drive red hot nails into my feet then do this as an actual job.

A happy, zoned out amateur I fully intend to remain

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    A happy, zoned out amateur I fully intend to remain
    Couldn't agree less. I remain happily deluded and recently dedicated to the idea that I can make a living (or at least a supplemental income) out of this. Seeing that Fotoseeds chart was actually one of the things that galvanized me.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    Couldn't agree less. I remain happily deluded and recently dedicated to the idea that I can make a living (or at least a supplemental income) out of this. Seeing that Fotoseeds chart was actually one of the things that galvanized me.
    Ahhh; but Lex you have the one thing I lack; talent. And an obvious love for the people and activities you photograph. And the knack for post processing. And the ability to like post processing. And probably the ability to be comfortable interacting with people in groups (ie extraversion vs intraversion). And good interpersonal skills. And the ability to market and sell your images. And the desire to use all of the last five.

Is that more than one thing?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Oh and I forgot; marketable images.

Real Name
    Bob

I am not sure I know the difference between the amateur or the hobbyist, but I am one of these. No interest in becoming a pro as it takes all the fun out of the hobby.

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Ahhh; but Lex you have the one thing I lack; talent. And an obvious love for the people and activities you photograph. And the knack for post processing. And the ability to like post processing. And probably the ability to be comfortable interacting with people in groups (ie extraversion vs intraversion). And good interpersonal skills. And the ability to market and sell your images. And the desire to use all of the last five.

Is that more than one thing?

Oh and I forgot; marketable images.
    I'm glad it looks that way from the outside, because from where I'm sitting, photography is a sort of continuous thrashing motion juggling learning, gear, permission, and personal interactions (slash schmoozing).

I genuinely appreciate hearing that, Trevor. But I assure you I was not born with any of those attributes. Extroversion took serious effort (recovering hardcore online role-playing game addict) over several years, but the alternative was boredom. Photography has definitely helped get over that! And I honestly hate PP. I keep learning it, but mainly to speed up the process. I still think my aesthetic sense is lacking (or so my artist friends inform me), but believe me, you can work through any perceived deficiency in your own (already good) work.

Real Name
    Richard

I love photography and I am a fairly competent photographer. However, I am a terrible businessperson and realize that shortcoming. That is why after retiring from the Navy after 32 years as a photographer's mate, I did not base my life on the income that I would receive from my photo efforts.

The fact that I also recognized that I was starting to go downhill physically at about that time from arthritis also helped in that decision making process.

While photography is not a physically demanding job like ditch digging, a professonal photographer needs to be able to be on his or her feet for long hours. After retirement from the Navy, I gained a Master's Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling and worked at that job for about 18years until I reired completely. Earning my living at a sedentary job helped me earn for many years after I would have needed to quit work if photography had been my sole post retirement income generator.

I would not want to think of the effort it would have taken me to cover an event like the Bostaon Marathon Massacre or even to shoot a long wedding day!

Additionally, earning one's total income with one's own photography business is probably requires 2/3 business and 1/3 photo talents!

However, supplementing one's income from photo work doesn't require quite as much business acumen or physical work and is quite an enjoyable pursuit. I was able to pick the gigs I wanted to work and refuse those I didn't.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 19th April 2013 at 03:45 PM.