Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cleaning camera and lenses

Cleaning camera and lenses

Hi,

I was wondering about how often I should be cleaning my camera? I've had it for two years and have never taken it for a professional cleaning. I recently did a desert trip and figured now would be a good time.

Thanks,

Odnanref

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Cleaning camera and lenses

I have had my camera 7 years and have only cleaned it periodically but always after a walk on a stormy beach. It probably depends on how well the camera is built and sealed against the weather and dust/sand. My camera is ready for replacement and semi-retirement so it may never enjoy being cleaned by a professional.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

There is no rule of thumb here and things really depend on you and the environment you are shooting in. I spent 3-1/2 weeks in a desert / semi-desert environment about 16 months ago, shooting daily. Before we went, I felt certain the camera would need cleaning; but I was so careful on-route that the camera did not need to go in to the shop.

I do clean the exterior and lens surfaces and have cleaned out the focus screen / mirror box with a blower brush, but until I see and impact on my images or feel my lenses starting to act up, the gear won't go in for a cleaning.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I treat my camera like my car; I clean it when it needs cleaning and I don't clean it if it doesn't need cleaning.

Real Name
    Andrew

If it doesn't need it, leave it. If you don't know if it needs it,,,,

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/inspecting.html

Real Name
    Richard

I carry an Optech Rainsleeve in the back pocket of my photo vest. That and a couple of strategically placed elastic bands help keep the camera clean in dusty conditions. I carry a camel's hair brush and a couple of squares of T-shirt material to further clean the camera body.

I usually don't need to clean the lens...