Thread: thinking about getting battery off ebay/amazon

Real Name
    Jimmy

thinking about getting battery off ebay/amazon

Hey guys,

i recently purchased a decent SLR and i was wondering what is the general feeling about getting battery off of ebay type website. I personally never bought batteries online before but they are so much cheaper then the one in my local store...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Nikon-EN-...ht_3625wt_1163

Thanks for the feedback

Real Name
    Adrian

Re: thinking about getting battery off ebay/amazon

If you are purchasing non branded batteries you may be lucky but you also need to be cautious. An electrical design engineer friend of mine tells horror stories of problems caused in satellite and radio equipment by badly made or defective lithium batteries.

Non OEM batteries tend to have reduced performance if on-line reviews are to be considered. However, the savings seem large. Personally I would source the genuine article and not risk damage or warranty issues on an expensive camera / tool.

I have purchased several spare third party batteries with no problems. But I do use reputable sites for my purchases. There are questionable products around, as Adrian mentioned.

A proper Amazon retailer should be OK but I would be vary wary of anything from Ebay.

My last order was for a Weiss battery which works fine.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I tend to agree with Adrian's assessment. but tend to buy them from a reputable dealer in the USA (much less than Canadian prices). I bought a device that came with some Sony clone Li-ion batteries and they had an intermittentcy problem that could not be resolved. I know some people have had some good luck with there products but also know of some horror stories.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...y_1030mAh.html

B&H are a very reputable bricks & mortar store in New York and I buy from them all the time. Their prices for peripheral are usually a lot less than my local Canadian retailer. They do have a package where they handle the HST and custom clearance. They ship via Purolator and the items are in my hands within 3 days.

Real Name
    Jimmy

Thanks all for the feedback, i will definitely look into that BH website, i had heard of it before but honestly forgotten about it!

Real Name
    Ian

+1 for B&H

In the past I have had laptop and other batteries from ebay and on the whole I would avoid like the plague. Ok the price hike for a branded battery is so great in some cases, I can see why folk are tempted, but they don't last or have a much poorer output. I wouldn't dream of putting anything inferior in my camera equipment and dont now patronise ebay or some amazon stores

Real Name
    Jimmy

i just wanted to post a feedback regarding B&H if anyone is hesitant about it.

not only the price of the battery i wanted was 60% cheaper (for a genuine Nikon enel14) allowing me to get more accessories for the same budget but the shipping was amazingly fast! For me in Canada, they had the duties paid off in the price of my order so it just went through customs without stopping.

i will definately order there again! thanks for the tip!!

Scan Date Scan Time Status Comment
    2013-04-17 09:42 AM On vehicle for delivery Quebec City, PQ
    2013-04-17 07:59 AM Arrived at sort facility Quebec City, PQ
    2013-04-17 07:50 AM Arrived at sort facility Quebec City, PQ
    2013-04-16 08:16 PM Departed sort facility Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON
    2013-04-16 08:16 PM Shipment in Transit
    2013-04-16 08:02 PM Arrived at sort facility Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON
    2013-04-16 08:02 PM Arrived at Transfer Terminal
    2013-04-16 08:01 PM Picked up by Purolator Toronto Sort Ctr/ctr Tri, ON
    2013-04-16 08:01 PM Picked up by Purolator
    2013-04-16 01:17 AM Departed sort facility Metro Ny Terminal
    2013-04-16 01:17 AM Shipment in Transit

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Glad you got good service Jimmy.

FWIW now (and being UK relevant);

My last two spare batteries (for Canon S100 and Nikon P510) were Duracell, ordered from Amazon UK themselves. They are both indistinguishable in performance from the originals supplied with cameras and I use them alternately, so I think I'd notice one being 'less capable'.

An earlier attempt to buy a cheap, but supposedly genuine Canon battery for the S100 from a reseller on Amazon failed - it was a fake (I consulted Canon UK), I was amicably refunded, including return postage, but it took weeks. Moral: if it looks 2 good 2 B true ....

Real Name
    Richard

I have used Sterlingtek batteries in 30D and 40D cameras (BP511A) and my 7D (EP6A) and have had only one problem with these batteries. One battery would not charge corectly from the start. I contacted Sterlingtek and they immediately sent me a new battery as well as a prepaid maler to return the defective battery. Many other CiC members also had good results using Sterlingtek batteries.

However, I have read a posting from one member that he had problems with his Serlingtek battery. But, I don't remember his problems.

The Stelingtek EP6A batteries are chipped to use in the Canon 7D (and other cameras) while some of the eBay batteries are not chipped. This would result in the camera not recognizing the battery and therefore not providing the battery status to the camera.

Would I purchase a Sterlingtek battery again - I certainly would!

As Dave mentioned, I also use my third party BP511A and EP6A batteries alongside my original OEM batteries and have not noticed any difference in quality. I have two Sterlingtek EP-6A batteries and one OEM EP6A battery. I have many BP511A batteries both from Sterlingtek and OEM types.

I would not however, combine OEM with Sterlingtek batteries for use in a two battery grip. That is just to be on the safe side. OTOH, since I don't use grips with my cameras, this is a moot point for me!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 17th April 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Real Name
    John

Promaster makes a good Nikon version. I purchased one as a backup.

Re: thinking about getting battery off ebay/amazon...REALLY?...Another one?

REALLY?

Go to B&H or your favorite real and reputable dealer and get a Sony or Fuji or whatever OEM battery...the money you will save by NOT destroying you gear will buy you a new lens.

And ignore all the ElCheapos that tell you about their bargains - misery loves company!