Thread: Focal lengths FX lens on DX body

Real Name
    Natalie

Focal lengths FX lens on DX body

Okay, I tried to research this, but did not find a satisfactory answer....perhaps I was asking the wrong question. I understand about the crop factor of 1.5 when using an FX lens (Nikkor 70-200mm AF VR f2.8 G IF-ED)) on a DX (Nikon D90) body. I realize that the sensors are full frame vs APS frame. So why does the exif data say focal length is 400mm instead of 300mm?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Focal lengths FX lens on DX body

Nat: this is just a thought have you upgraded the firmware in the D90 as it came out in August of 2008, the lens that you state replaced the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR in 2009 your is the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII so it may be that your camera does not recognize it as the camera was produced before the lens was made, and it goes to the next lens in its memory which would be the 80-400mm. When they come out with new lens they issue new firmware so the camera can recognize the new lens.
    Check which version of firmware you have against the newest one from Nikon for the D90, it looks like the newest is 1.002
    Hope this is the cause of the problem.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Natalie

My lens does not say VR II on it.....Some of the newer ones do.....how can I find out if it is a VR II?
    Yes, John, I see that it does show both, it says focal length 400mm, 600mm in 35mm film.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I believe that the older VR I lenses have VR marking in red lettering while the newer VR II lenses have the VR marking in gold lettering.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Nat: I looked up images of the two lens and Manfred is correct the older one has the VR printed in red and the VRII is in gold.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Natalie

Okay, thanks. That means I have the older version.... still, will an update of the firmware on the D90 solve why the exif data is reading 400mm focal lenght instead of 300mm? Should I do the update? The update says 1.002 on the site, but when I downloaded to my computer, it is 1.006?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I just checked one of my images taken with a D90 using the Nikkor f/2.8 70-200mm lens (VRII version). EXIF data is correct...

I have never updated the firmware on this camera, so it is still running version 1.00 across the board.

Real Name
    Allan Short

You should not have any problems, just follow the instructions, I just did it for my D7000 and D600 cameras. One of the things this added was the new 800mm lens as it is new after the camera came out, it is needed for lens disoration (can't spell), correction.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Just updated the D90 and will be doing my wife's camera in a couple of minutes as well. Pretty simple process.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Nat,

In light of other replies, this seems odd, doesn't it?

Can you post the picture (with EXIF data)?

So why does the exif data say focal length is 400mm instead of 300mm?
    What EXIF viewer were you using?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Natalie

I view the exif data in Adobe Bridge CS5

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I view the exif data in Adobe Bridge CS5
    Hi Nat,

I wonder if it is because the lens is newer than the Bridge (or ACR?) version that shipped with CS5?

Although we have a lot of commonality of lens, I (sadly) don't have the 70-200mm f/2.8, so I cannot try it (I have CS5 and recently CS6).

If you have a DropBox account, feel free to send me a PM with a link to a RAW file you have uploaded and I can try it here.

That said, I don't actually use bridge, so I'd be looking at the file info when it is open in CS5 - how does that show the lens data for you? e.g. like the panel in Manfred's screen shot.

Is it possible there is an update available for Bridge you haven't taken advantage of?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Tom

I notice that the EXIF data also says that the max aperture on your f/2.8 lens is f/5.7. Are you using a 2X TC with this lens?

Real Name
    Natalie

Gee, the image was taken a while ago....so ...I don't remember if I had a TC on it......I will have to try to put that on and see if that makes a difference. I took some images after I did the firmware update, and all is fine.....Thanks to all those who have given me input!
    Thanks, Dave, I will try to update Bridge, too, while I am at it! I don't have a Drop Box Account. Sorry. But I think all will be good, now!!