Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Blue Jay

Real Name
    Steve

Blue Jay

Do you think the small limb crossing his beak should be cloned out? I tried it once and it's going to take some time to make it look right, so i left it.

Blue Jay

Re: Blue Jay

Hello Steve,

It is an attractive shot and I would agree the twig in front of the beak should go, and there is an argument to subdue the distracting background Blue Jay as well, some cropping would make the main subject larger in the frame and if you prefer your subject looking towards the right of the picture there is a little more work.

I fully accept the uneasy transition from recording what you saw through a series of editing steps to the final image which is pleasing to an audience but has departed somewhat from what you actually saw and inspired you to take the shot. I have uploaded my editing so see what you think.

Regards,

Tony

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

Lovely shot, and very unlucky with the position of bird behind that twig.

I think I would give cloning away a second try if it were mine, it looks do-able to me, you have similar surfaces on both sides.

I think I would burn that super-bright highlight on the other Blue Jay's tail will you're 'in there' editing.

I've never managed to get a shot of one of these yet

One last thought, if cloning away proves too dificult, how about actually extending the twig a little, just so it is obvious it crosses in front of, rather than apparently joining with. If you know what I mean

Cheers,

I hope it attaches this time!

Blue Jay

MOD EDIT it did

Tony
    Last edited by Tony; 23rd November 2009 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Lovely shot, and very unlucky with the position of bird behind that twig.
    I agree...still a pleasing shot of an attractive bird

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for the input everyone.

I cropped it with the other bird in the background because i think it adds a little intrest to the shot and it didn't look right chopping him in half . I also have a personal rule on cropping. Never crop more than 1/4 of the original shot.......if you have to, your not close enough.(I use a crop sensor camera and it gets too grainy if i push it any more than that.)

Dave, i agree with the white in the background. It draws the eye and should be toned down. I may give the clone another try, but it is a tough one to get right.