Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Day out of the office

Real Name
    Rico

Day out of the office

Hello everyone. I've been reading around for a while now and thought it was time to get uploading. Comments and advice would be appreciated

Statue

Day out of the office

Rail

Day out of the office

Duck

Day out of the office

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Day out of the office

Rico

Great that you've joined and posted up some images. I hope you enjoy being part of CiC.

Not so sure about the last one. I don't feel it maybe works. Although, of course, I don't know what you intended.

However, I think the other two demonstrate your imagination and ability see something 'different'. Thinking about backgrounds (even though in each case you've thrown the backgrounds out-of-focus) is maybe something to give more attention to. We often see our main subject and forget that everything that's inside that rectangle makes up the image. So, everything has got to work and if we get one part of it not quite right, then it detracts from the overall impact.

By the way - If you wish you can go to Edit Profile and put in your location, so that it appears in the sidebar alongside your message, just like mine beside this message. Then everybody knows where everybody else is.

Real Name
    Rico

Hello Donald

Thanks so much for the input and you can see im from the east midlands now. I do enjoy being part of CiC, Ive picked up so much through the tutorials and forums.

I bought my first camera at the end of 2012 and take photos when I get a chance, I try to take the camera with me most places.

In the first two, I was playing with shallow depth of field and the last was just thrown in for comment taken on the same day

I was using a 50mm fd 1.4 canon

Continuing on from Donald's comments about backgrounds, Rico, I wondered if your first photo was a suitable case for a background change. So just for a bit of fun . . .

Day out of the office

Sometimes it is impossible to find the perfect camera angle no matter what you try.

Your last photo of the duck is another case of being in a lost cause before you began.

You were shooting into the light so the duck was bound to be excessively dark. Even though you have managed well on the water exposure, the duck is really swimming in the wrong direction. You did all that you could with this scene though.

It would have been better if it had been heading towards the centre of your scene instead of looking towards the edge. But you obviously couldn't alter that.

I wonder if actually darkening the shadows a little so the duck becomes a silhouette might work?

Real Name
    Rico

Geoff

I have been thinking about backgrounds more in my photography. It can make all the difference.

I don't like what you did to the image but I know what you are getting at, thanks.

Real Name
    Dan

Hi, Rico. Welcome to CIC. If you've only been shooting for a few months as indicated they you definitely have a natural eye for possibilities. That's good because you can concentrate on learning to use the medium to execute your vision.

I agree with what's been said already. On the first shot the BG could possibly have been taken care of simply by taking a step to the left so that you put the rock wall behind the statue. Don't know if it was a possibility where you were but an example of the kind of thing to think about when shooting.

Similarly in the second image, having the steps and out of focus railings in the BG isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the red brick at top and dark corner at upper left are distracting. So a slightly higher perspective and a step to the left may have worked.

Keep firing away. No better way to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Continuing on from Donald's comments about backgrounds, Rico, I wondered if your first photo was a suitable case for a background change. So just for a bit of fun . . .

Day out of the office

Sometimes it is impossible to find the perfect camera angle no matter what you try.

Your last photo of the duck is another case of being in a lost cause before you began.

You were shooting into the light so the duck was bound to be excessively dark. Even though you have managed well on the water exposure, the duck is really swimming in the wrong direction. You did all that you could with this scene though.

It would have been better if it had been heading towards the centre of your scene instead of looking towards the edge. But you obviously couldn't alter that.

I wonder if actually darkening the shadows a little so the duck becomes a silhouette might work?
    Hi
    I like your pp.It is a good example of the way how the negative space-generally speaking- helps a shot.
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 12th July 2013 at 02:10 PM.