Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Non-OEM Ink for Canon Pixma 9000 Mkii

Real Name
    Richard

Non-OEM Ink for Canon Pixma 9000 Mkii

I use and like my Canon Pixma 9000 Mkii inkjet printer. I have been wondering if anyone has ever used non-Canon OEM ink for this printer? This company sells a set of 17 cartridges for $80 U.S. Dollars.

http://www.4inkjets.com/CLI8BDL5BB-C...e?printer=3979

This price may be too good to be true? On the other hand, this ink might work and I could certainly do a lot more printing at these prices...

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Non-OEM Ink for Canon Pixma 9000 Mkii

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I use and like my Canon Pixma 9000 Mkii inkjet printer. I have been wondering if anyone has ever used non-Canon OEM ink for this printer? This company sells a set of 17 cartridges for $80 U.S. Dollars.

http://www.4inkjets.com/CLI8BDL5BB-C...e?printer=3979

This price may be too good to be true? On the other hand, this ink might work and I could certainly do a lot more printing at these prices...
    Hi richard, i get my supplies here.........http://www.rjettek.com/# I buy the 4 oz bottles , rubber plugs, and a chip resetter, and refill my own. Not hard to do at all. I can refill all 8 cartrages in about 10 to 15 min. Not to mention 4 oz. of ink will last a long time.

The ink is indistinguishable from the factory canon ink. I have had no issues with colors either. I even mixed canon ink with their ink and couldn't see any changes.

Hope this helps. If you need a step by step on filling the cartrages, let me know.

Woops, forgot....................a complete set of 8 (4oz) bottles of ink , a chip resetter, and bag of rubber plugs, cost me around $85
    Last edited by Steve S; 12th April 2013 at 01:19 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Steve, thanks for providing your info. I'll check out the supplier you use.

Real Name
    Dan

Richard,

I have the same printer, but I never have never used third-party inks, and I know nothing about those particular inks. However, some third-party inks have done very poorly in permanence tests. You could check here (http://wilhelm-research.com/) to see if they have any tests of those particular inks. You can also find permanence tests here (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ac...gingtests.html), but I think they mostly do OEM.

For my own printing, I have decided to stick with OEM. Even the best dye-based inks don't have very high permanence ratings, and I don't want to risk losing more.

Dan

Real Name
    Richard

I once attempted (and that is the word to use) to refill the ink cartridges for a HP Photosmart Inkjet Printer. It was a total debacle and I had ink all over the kitchen table and myself.

The Canon inks have done quite well for me in that they don't seem to clog up. If I am not printing anything, I try to run at least one test print per week. That is what I would worry aboput when using a non-OEM ink on the Pixma.

My HP was pretty good about clogging but, since I used that as my primary printer, I ran a lot of prints and documents through it.

I don't run any black and white print documents through my Pixma 9000 Mkii because I now do my document printing on a Brother Laser Printer. By the way, I use a generic toner on that printer and it works as well as the OEM toner but, has a larger print capacity...

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Richard,

I remember my grandkiddies using a syringe/needle to refill their ink cartridges.

Maybe this can avoid ink splashes all over.

HTH

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I once attempted (and that is the word to use) to refill the ink cartridges for a HP Photosmart Inkjet Printer. It was a total debacle and I had ink all over the kitchen table and myself.

The Canon inks have done quite well for me in that they don't seem to clog up. If I am not printing anything, I try to run at least one test print per week. That is what I would worry aboput when using a non-OEM ink on the Pixma.

My HP was pretty good about clogging but, since I used that as my primary printer, I ran a lot of prints and documents through it.

I don't run any black and white print documents through my Pixma 9000 Mkii because I now do my document printing on a Brother Laser Printer. By the way, I use a generic toner on that printer and it works as well as the OEM toner but, has a larger print capacity...

Very easy to do, richard. First , with a nail set punch, knock out the seal at the top of the cartrage. It is a little ball located at the top of the cartrage above the ink tank side of the cartrage. Just place the emty cartrage over a firm surface and with a hammer and nail set punch, knock the ball down into the ink tank. (won't hurt a thing, the ink tank has a filter pad )

Next place the cartrage on the chip resetter and reset the chip. This just takes a second.............press down untill the electrical contacts touch, and the light on the cartrage lights up and it is reset to read full.

Next fill a syringe with the proper ink.................get a rubber plug ready and set it next to the cartrage...............hold the cartrage firmly on a wad of paper towels.....................fill the cartrage (some ink will flow onto the paper towels, but just keep filling untill full.)........................quickly place the plug into the hole and press firmly...............whipe the cartrage clean with a paper towel and your done. Once you get the hang of it, it is really easy and fast. I don't reuse the rubber plugs, for fear of one letting loose and spilling ink everywhere. I've filled them quite a few times and never had any problems.

If you don't want to fill them, i think they also sell filled cartrages as well. At any rate, they have good ink, that prints the same as the original.

Real Name
    Lex

I had serious problems with third-party ink for my Pixa Pro 9500 mkII. Bought it through Laser Monks, which used to be an order of monks selling printer ink and toner to support their monastery, but has entered private hands and gone down the tubes.

The ink cartridges were sealed only by a sticker, which you had to remove before installing. Turn them over, and ink runs out. Instructions were in the thickest Engrish I've ever read, and the print heads came without covers. The ink itself dried extremely slowly (think weeks), and the color accuracy was terrible. I contacted the seller, who did not offer a refund or store credit, and returned the ink (no reason to keep it, and I wanted to make the strongest possible impression on the seller) with a pair of test prints using genuine Canon ink, and their terrible knock-off crap. The box contained a strong, borderline uncivil nastygram.

So part of my problem was the retailer, but I will no longer touch third-party inks with a 10-meter pole. That said, I would cheerfully reset and refill my own cartridges if I could find ink I trusted.

How do you deal with ICC profiles to make sure that the ink, paper, printer and software communicate so that what is seen on the monitor might come close to matching what comes out of the printer?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Alandb View Post
    How do you deal with ICC profiles to make sure that the ink, paper, printer and software communicate so that what is seen on the monitor might come close to matching what comes out of the printer?
    I use the same profiles as i would with the original ink...................prints the same as canon ink. I even mixed canon cartrages , with filled cartrages, and didn't see any difference in color.

One time I had a clog, and i think it was my fault. I let the printer sit for 6 months with a empty cartrage, and the empty one is the one that clogged. I make shure i have full cartrages , when i let the printer sit for a while, and haven't had an issue since.