Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W or Color?

Real Name
    Patrick

B&W or Color?

Can't decide on what works better for this photo though I think I'm leaning towards the B&W version.
    Comments/Critiques welcome

B&W or Color?

B&W or Color?

Real Name
    Zach

Re: B&W or Color?

I like the black and white a lot better actually, I think the browns on the big mound in the middle and the mound all the way to the left are ugly colors and the black and white helps it, also just a suggestion, if you could remove that city in the background or even that entire mass of land (the city and that mountian) I think that would look nice. Either way, its a great shot! Good job!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I also find that the B&W works better for me. The colour image does have very limited colours, but I find that the mix of predominantly cool tones with the warm tones in the sky at camera right adds a bit of something that just does not work for me. With the conversion to gray scale, you have simplified the whole image and it is more harmonious somehow and a bit easier to look at.

Real Name
    Patrick

Thanks for your comments Zach, I think the brown was bothering me as well. I might play around with cropping in a little on the right since I now see that the mountain that's cut by the frame doesn't really add much

Real Name
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I also find that the B&W works better for me. The colour image does have very limited colours, but I find that the mix of predominantly cool tones with the warm tones in the sky at camera right adds a bit of something that just does not work for me. With the conversion to gray scale, you have simplified the whole image and it is more harmonious somehow and a bit easier to look at.
    I think that was my gut feeling as well, but it's always good to confirm it. Thanks Manfred

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

I like Zach's suggestion to crop off the right side to get rid of the city in the distance. When you do that, I prefer the color version.

I would shave a bit off the left side too; not because brown is ugly, but because the sharply sloping part tends to pull the eye away from the leading line heading out to the building.

Real Name
    David

Guess I'm am the odd man out. I like the color version best. After reading the others comments not sure I can explain why. A little cropping will help, especially at the bottom of the photo where the browns are heavy.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Hi Patrick,

I like the B&W version most. It has more contrast, which works well in the B&W version. I'm not sure such contrast would work so well in the colour one.

I would try a panoramic crop, removing the bottom part up to the top of the front corner of the triangular rock formation in the foreground. Part of the diagonal path leading to the building is lost, but for me it's not a major feature of the image.

I'd keep the city in; for me it's a nice feature of the image.

Where did you take the photo? Spain?

Tony