Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: buying a canon 100mm macro.

Real Name
    Clarence Fisher

buying a canon 100mm macro.

Hi,

I am buying a canon 100mm usm macro for 150$ the front element is sunken and I need to know if it is defective pls can anyone let me know if this is a rip off a good buy. I reead that canons 100mm macro isn't sunken but is the older model.

Ps I only have a few days to buy this lens a quick response would be a deffinate help.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: buying a canon 100mm macro.

Try looking on THIS site to see if you can identify your lens. The photographs may help to answer your question.

I have the non L model (I'm assuming that the one you are looking at is the same and not the newer Mark II because of the very low price).

I laid a straightedge across the front of mine (without a filter), and the centre of the front element might be 3 mm back from the rim.

Since I don't know what you mean by "sunken" and by how much, it's hard to know if the one you're looking at is faulty or not.

I'd be a bit skeptical at the very low price ($150) - I certainly would not sell mine for less than several hundred - they don't wear out or fall apart with age. Mine has taken in the order of 20,000 to 30,000 images and it still works.

The lowest price here is $500.

http://www.pricemachine.com/canon-10...0--search-html

Glenn

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, I would say stay away as I firmly believe in "You only get what you pay for"
    Russ

Real Name
    Jim

buying a  canon 100mm macro.

Does it look like this lens? This is the older version (non-IS).
    $150 sounds way too low.As far as I know there are only 2 versions of the Canon 100 macro, this one and the newer version with IS.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Not being a Canon shooter, I can't comment on this specific lens. I have definitely bought used lenses before. but in each case I examined and tested it thoroughly before buying it. This is the only way I can see that one can confirm that the lens works properly. I would never buy a lens without going through this process. I would also do my homework to understand how much I should be paying for a used lens. If you don't know what you are doing when it comes to inspecting and testing a used lens, get a friend who does to help.

I also bought from reputable dealers. The used lenses came with a reasonable warranty (90 day) and they did check with the police to ensure that the lens had not been reported as being stolen. Unless you know the seller personally and understand why he or she is selling it so cheaply; I would be very cautious and suspicious. Buying a damaged or stolen lens is probably not something you would want to do.

Real Name
    tim

interesting flash bracket-looks quite versatile-would you mind posting the make/model?
    thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Jim

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Try looking on THIS site to see if you can identify your lens. The photographs may help to answer your question.
    I tend to use this site to identify an older Canon lens: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/