Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon View NX 1.5

Real Name
    Ron

Nikon View NX 1.5

Just joined this excellent 'Cambridge in Colour' and looking forward to learning a lot. I use a Nikon Coolpix 4800 and have now just got their new DSLR D3000 with the 18-105 lens. So I have basic gear here in Norway but I am pleased with both.
    I also import pics via a card reader into Nikon Transfer 1.5 and then view etc in View NX 1.5 ... these are the latest software versions. BUT ...
    ... try as I might, I simply cannot get the software view options to thumbnail my pics in a simple date order, it seems to insist on file number order. Now mostly this would be the same as a date order except where one uses 2 Nikon camera's it seems and where the pic file numbers are the same. I have chosen to allow the file numbers to be the same since all Nikon camera's have a fixed numbering system which I understand is the same. I could use 'folders' to separate pics from the different camera's but I like all pics from either source to be 'one series' each year. Where pic numbers are the same (in a specific year folder) the second/next pic has the same file number but plus a (2) etc to differentiate.
    Are there any solutions out there so I can have my thumbnails in a real date order?
    Ron

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Nikon View NX 1.5

Hi Ron,

Are you saying this method doesn't work?
    Nikon View NX 1.5

If you are, I wouldn't be surprised, as I have problems with thumbnail orders in ViewNX

Although I have to say that having identical file names and relying on Windows (or ViewNX) to put the "(2)" in the filename is what I would call a risky strategy. I guess you also have both cameras start afresh from DSC_0001 on each shoot?

Can you not get Nikon Transfer to place a suffix after the image number so that even when sorted on filename, it interleaves the pictures? e.g. DSC_0001_D5000, DSC_0001_C4800? At least they wouldn't be identical or HDD then, but it won't really help the sort order much.

I'm guessing you go out with both cameras and shoot the same subjects, hence the desire to see the thumbnails accurately ordered by shooting time.

Only other thought that might explain a mix up is if one of the camera's clocks, particularly if in am/pm mode, rather than 24hr mode, is twelve hours out? But I'm clutching at straws really with that idea.

EDIT: Where are my manners - welcome to the CiC forums

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd November 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: remove error in my logic

Real Name

Hi Ron,

The problems I have relating to sort orders in ViewNX are documented here.

Items 2 and 3.

I wonder if there are similarities?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd November 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Real Name
    Ron

Hei Dave and thanks for the reply and welcome.
    Yes, Date Shot simply does not function at all accurately ... I think that View NX is rather unstable because sometimes if I change around the view option I can occasionally get it correct, though rarely! Tried just now ... no luck, it insists on being in some sort of file number order! All my pics, including those that others have sent me (and which I want to include in my '2009' file) have date stamps so I fail to understand why it simply does not function. If all my pics are from the one camera then the file numbers are sequential and its in date order ... or should I say 'file order'! I hazard a guess that Nikon really mean file order! I have the new camera set so that it runs pic numbers sequentially and does not revert to ... 001 every time I change a memory card etc.

Interestingly, Windows Live Photo Gallery files exactly as I wish and now also has some pretty decent photo adjustment software. I think that I will just use this for viewing and minor adjusting and only revert to the View NX for special adjustment if needed or for RAW post processing.
    Regards
    Ron

Hi there, I am trying to find out how you can edit an image after it has already been uploaded to nikon view nx. I didn't realize that by setting a comment in the camera it attaches it to all of the photos and someone else shot some on my camera but my comment keeps coming up on all of their images. This may be an easy one but I am not seeing a way to easily remove it. Any advice? Thanks!

Real Name
    Ron

I think that reprogramming the type of file information that you are talking about can be done via normal 'file properties' distinct from the ViewNX. Open up Windows Pictures file, right click for file property, click into Details and see if you can modify or delete what you want to ... at the bottom I think you can if you wish also delete all personal information.

If this is not what you want then Nikon should know!

I myself have recently 'given up' on Nikon ViewNX programme and now use the Photoshop Elements 8 software for picture filing etc. The new Windows Live Photo Gallery is also very good for filing and making basic changes to pics.
    Ron

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by csaint View Post
    Hi there, I am trying to find out how you can edit an image after it has already been uploaded to nikon ViewNX. ~
    Hi csaint,

I have Elements 6 installed and I added this as an "Open With Application" in ViewNX;

From ViewNX menu Edit > Options and find the "Open With Application" in left panel and highlight it, then, in right panel, click Add button below the window, if it isn't already listed, search for it via the "Other" button.

So now, if I right click an image, one of the Open With ... options is "Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 (Editor)" (I also added Picasa, IrfanView and several others - not that I use 'em).

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th December 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: improve accuracy