Thread: Filter problems

Filter problems

Hi, I recently bought a 58mm polarizing filter for my wide angle lens. The info sheet supplied with the lens said that was correct size filter for the lens thread. So how come the filter won't stay screwed into the lens? What can I do other than send lens back? Would a step down ring sort the problem out and if so what size should I get. Some help would be appreciated here please as I am of limited means and don't want to waste my money on stuff that is no use to me.

Re: Filter problems

Are the filter and lens definitely both 58 mm?

If so there should not be any problems.

Just a silly thought, if it is a circular polarizer. Are you actually just rotating the filter element instead of screwing it in?

Most of these filters have a rather narrow ring around the edge which is used for holding and screwing in/out. While the main edge of the filter freely rotates to give adjustment to the amount of filter effect applied. This still rotates when the filter is screwed on.

I find they can be a bit fiddly to hold this firm edge and screw in. Even worse to undo when the thread has become tightened.

But you may well already be aware of this; just a thought.

Real Name
    Kathy

Check the front of the lens for a diameter symbol: ∅

Whatever's printed next to that is the filter size. Also, telling us which lens might help.

The only time I ran into thread mismatch issues was when I was buying an old Leica-R lens which took Series VII filters. (headdesk).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Karen - the make and model of the lens and the filter would be useful to help diagnose the issue. My first guess would have been the same as Geoff's. Also, do you have a filter on the lens already to protect the front element? Some of these are low profile designs have very shallow threads. My B+W Käsemann CPol is low profile and I can't screw anything into it.

You mention you have a wide-angle lens; polarizers have to be used with caution on wide angles as they are prone to causing banding in the image when shooting the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    The only time I ran into thread mismatch issues was when I was buying an old Leica-R lens which took Series VII filters. (headdesk).
    Sounds like what I have on my Leitz Elmarit-R. Series VII filter and a retainer ring. I'd like to thank whoever figured out that putting threads on the filter itself. The main advantage to me was that the 400mm Telyt also tool a Series VII, but it pops into a spring loaded filter holder just behind the diaphram.

Hi, thanks everyone for replies. I did check front of lens but it didn't show that symbol. It just mentioned filter thread size in paperwork that came with lens. The lens is a Zeikos 0.45x wide angle lens which fits onto a 52mm lens adapter for a csc. Maybe I should have just got a filter to screw into lens adapter. Actually the BPS polarizer isn't the worst culprit, that honor goes to a Jacobs 58mm slim ND4 filter that I got a few days later. That neither fits nor touches the sides of the lens. When you haven't much experience and even less money getting kitted up can be quite a challenge.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Okay - you've got me on that one. It looks like an auxiliary wide angle adapter similar to the one I had for my first Canon video camera (a long time ago). These are not brands I recognize.

I would suggest that you contact Zeikos and ask them instead of guessing. There is also a possibility that the filters got mislabeled; they should fit snugly on the lens and not fall off.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Quote Originally Posted by Karen996 View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a 58mm polarizing filter for my wide angle lens. The info sheet supplied with the lens said that was correct size filter for the lens thread. So how come the filter won't stay screwed into the lens?
    The thread size on the info sheet refers to the rear end thread of the wide angle attachment you have, not to its front end that is substantially larger.
    What can I do other than send lens back? Would a step down ring sort the problem out and if so what size should I get.
    A step ring could physically fit the filter onto the front of the attachment, but it would cause severe vignetting, effectively cutting off the intended increase of viewing angle with the attachment.
    Some help would be appreciated here please as I am of limited means and don't want to waste my money on stuff that is no use to me.
    You might already have wasted your money a great deal with the attachment, as it is not what you might think. This type of attachments were originally conceived for movie cameras where the lens could not be removed, in order to make them more flexible and enable a larger field of view. There are also similar attachments to get narrower field of view, telephoto attachments. Those are not lenses, but they are afocal attachments, intended to be fitted to the front of the actual lens.

Your wide angle attachment probably is a rather poor performer, and I wouldn't recommend buying any accessories for it, I wouldn't even recommend to use it at all on a system camera, as you will certainly get a better result with a real lens. There is also the possibility that the rather large and heavy attachment might damage your lens, as it was never intended to carry any extra weight on its front end. The weight might cause excessive wear on its focusing gear or dislocate front elements.

Hi, thanks again to all who have replied with suggestions.
    To Geoff F, think I was just turning the filter wheel half the time as it does go in if I take time and do it properly. Don't think my actual lens will suffer as converters screw onto an adapter tube which goes over top of built in lens via a bayonet fitting. Maybe calling my camera a csc was a bit misleading as it was sold as a compact with added features eg manual modes and potential to use extra lenses.
    To GrumpyDiver Think I will contact Zeikos and see if they do the ND filters in their range. The one I have now I will just resell. It may fit somebody elses lens better.
    Don't think I have wasted my money so far as I have sourced my kit quite cheaply and could always sell it on or use it for my camcorder as I think that is a canon.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Don't think my actual lens will suffer as converters screw onto an adapter tube which goes over top of built in lens via a bayonet fitting.
    In such a case, the attachment is a way to widen the range of your camera and might be a reasonable accessory. If the attachment has a filter thread on its front end, you can surely find a polariser that fits. It will cost more than the smaller polariser that you can fit directly on the tube without the attachment. You might still want to have the 58 mm polariser, as it can be used with the tube and thus perhaps wouldn't be wasted money.