Thread: The Flower Girl

Real Name
    Andre Burger

The Flower Girl

Weddings offer many opportunities.

The Flower Girl

Maybe this one is better:

The Flower Girl
    Last edited by AB26; 10th April 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: The Flower Girl

Both shots are lovely and are the natural part of telling the story in wedding photography. For me I would do without the white blurred frame - your star of the photo doesn't need it, she carries the photo by herself.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

They are lovely shots, Andre.

I've read the 'Crazy - A Wedding' thread and note what you and Colin have been saying about shooting conditions and circumstances. I think you've handled this one well.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Andre - the lighting reminds me of my last trip to your part of the world and the difficult shooting conditions at mid-day from the strong tropical sun and the fight that I had trying to deal with the less than ideal lighting conditions for much of the day. I also wince at the thought of getting down as low as you did to shoot this girl at eye level. I think the PoV you have chosen works really well.

What I am wondering about is using a white vignette. I find that my eyes find it a bit confusing; they keep looking at the vignette, rather than at the subject. Have you tried a dark vignette instead? I have started playing with light vignettes but have restricted them to high key images.

I find that your first shot works a bit better for me compositionally. I find that the second shot has more foreground than necessary at the cost of being cropped a bit tightly above the girl's head.

It looks like you had an interesting shoot.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Thank you Kaye, the comment is appreciated.

Donald, I can only appreciate your kind comment.

Thank you, Manfred. The South African sun is not a Photographers greatest friend. I still need to learn a few tricks to overcome the harshness of midday shooting. I have seen Photographers using screens to soften the direct sunlight, even a white umbrella. Using tools require having someone assisting with a shoot like this.

Ok, the white vignetting was done in preparation to have the images printed in a photo book. The photo paper is a metallic paper and I want the images to flow from the paper. I am not very creative in this regard and any advice on compiling an artistic photo book will be of great help.

Thank you all for the kind comments, if you people find it acceptable the bride should be delighted, and is she delighted. She brought back the proofs and she chose more images to be printed in the photo book than the limited amount I allowed her. She had no objection to pay an extra fee to have more spreads printed – I am delighted.