Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Redhancer Filter

Real Name
    Richard

Redhancer Filter

A member if one of my camera clubs has been singing the praises of a Redhancer Filter (his is made by B+W) for accentuating red colors in foliage and sunsets.

I think that it is probably as efficient when shooting digital images to accentuate the reds during post processing in Photoshop. Am I correct?

It also appears to me that if you shoot on auto white balance the camera will attempt to negate any of the effects of the filter.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Redhancer Filter

Richard: I use this filter on my camera from mid August until the spring, I find it makes fall colours pop, not so much reds, but yellows, oranges and browns. I find little or no change in blues and greens. I have been wearing a brand of driving glasses for years that have a copper tint, so to me in the fall with the fall colours here in Ontario, without that filter they do not look right. I have also found in areas like yours and others in the US Southwest that it will bring out the red highlights in the soils giving me a more pleasing image.
    I would suggest trying one not one flowers but on a landscape that hads some browns and yellow in the soil and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Richard: I use this filter on my camera from mid August until the spring, I find it makes fall colours pop, not so much reds, but yellows, oranges and browns...
    Hi Allan

Are you shooting jpeg or raw?

cheers
    Wolf

Real Name
    Mark

kinda thought that anything other than poleriser, grads or ND's were a wast of time in digital (RAW) someone educate me!!!

Real Name
    J stands for John

I have a reservation about committing myself at the camera stage by adding anything other than CPL,Grad or ND.
    Those coloured sunglasses do make the world a nicer place

Real Name
    Allan Short

Wolf: I shoot raw, last 4 years now. Now someone, will now speak up and say that the auto white balance will cancel that filter. I will answer that this way, have any of you shot long exposures with 10 stop filters, which one gives a cool cast and which one gives a warm cast to the images. Lee big stopper is cool and the B+W is warm, open the image in raw and you will see the it. Now you have to adjust the white balance even though the camera was set on auto white balance and should have corrected it in theory.

Cheers:

Allan

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    kinda thought that anything other than poleriser, grads or ND's were a wast of time in digital (RAW) someone educate me!!!
    I think you are pretty well educated but you may want to include dark red for I.R. capable sensors or blue filters for pseudo night shots.

Real Name
    Richard

Since a topline redhancer filter is quite expensive and I think that I will play with Photoshop and probably play with my NIK software enhancement before investing in the redhancer.