Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Two Bicylists, Boston Mills Road (BW)

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Two Bicylists, Boston Mills Road (BW)

Comments welcomed.

Two Bicylists, Boston Mills Road (BW)

Karm

Re: Two Bicylists, Boston Mills Road (BW)

For me, Karm, you were 1 second late in taking this shot. I think the composition would be better balanced if they were closer to the right side. With their heads about the one third line.

Basically a nice idea though.

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Karm, you were 1 second late in taking this shot. I think the composition would be better balanced if they were closer to the right side. With their heads about the one third line.

Basically a nice idea though.
    I think so too. I like the sense of movement of the bikes. I like the sharpness and texture in the landscape though they seem to compete with each other a little. I would like to see a panning shot of same. The BW conversion is nice and contrasty. I like it.

What is your subject here? The bikes or the landscape? Where does this image draw most of the attention? My eye keeps returning to investigate the sharp detail of the landscape and the bikes seem an accessory to your main vision for this image. Is that what you intended? If so then well done.

As you will most likely know, generally speaking, bright colours, strong textures, strong lines, sharp focussed subjects (as opposed to the blurry bits), living things, faces, any strong points of contrast (think white dot on black or black dot on white) will have more weight in an image which means, very simply, the eye will move to it (or along it with lines) and it will hold the eye for longer (or take the eye straight off the edge of an image, or into it, with lines). You can use this information to give your subject more prominence and better be able to serve the vision you have for the image.

Just some thoughts anyway...
    Last edited by Hans; 5th April 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Geoff, you are probably correct. Getting this shot was simple. Getting the bicyclists placed correctly was difficult. The way I cropped it I wanted you to first see the bicyclists and then see the beauty of the rock formations behind them. For me, the subject of this photograph is not the bicyclists and not the rock formations behind them. The subject of the photograph is the beauty of the bicycle path.

Karm

Pete, thanks for your thoughtful reply. The subject of the photograph is the beauty of the bicycle path. Obviously, I needed a to show a bicycle and I needed to show what is beautiful about this particular bike path: it's rock formations. Geoff suggested that this picture would be stronger with the bicyclists moved to the right -- I think I agree.

Any additional feedback from you is welcomed.

Karm

I did think about cropping a fraction from the top and right side to position the cyclists differently. But I suspect that would lose more than it added.

Selecting and pasting the cyclists in a different position is an option, but is it worth the trouble? Maybe a 'wet weather day' experiment.