Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisky gallery

Real Name
    Jimmy

Whisky gallery

Hey guys, instead of making a new thread every time i'm posting a bottle i figured id put them all in one!

I'm trying to approach every bottle a bit differently, feel free to comments!

Whisky gallery

Whisky gallery

Whisky gallery

Whisky gallery

Whisky gallery
    Last edited by JimG; 8th April 2013 at 01:37 AM.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Whisky gallery

Hi Jimmy. I think with these types of shots simpler is better. I think all of your pictures have too many things in them. Less can be more. Obviously, this is a matter of taste.

Karm

Real Name
    Jimmy

Hi karn, thanks for the feedback. Ill try with my next bottle

Real Name
    Allen Conway

this is a matter of taste... How apt a comment is that!

A good, if expensive project - I'll drink to it, but only once I've seen the bottle of Springbank !

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    [I] I'll drink to it, but only once I've seen the bottle of Springbank !

Ahhh, well thats a bottle i dont have sadly, i have 3 more very good bottle i want to showcase, GlenDronarch 15yo revival, Laphroaig quater cask and GlenGarrioch (the last glass in the bottle will be the one ill need for the picture haha)

Maybe in the future for Springbank

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I'm with Karm - less is more. Maybe the water glass needs to be a small jug with water which you use to dilute the whisky. I'm also worried that you;re leaving the stopper off - it evaporates you know!! I have some Springbank if you want some.........

Real Name
    Jimmy

Hey Kaye, yeah i know it evaporates im putting the cork back on asap between pictures. i dont use/own a jug sadly, i just use the glass with a teaspoon, its a good idea however, ill keep it in mind if i see 1 for cheap

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Hi Jimmy. I think with these types of shots simpler is better.
    Karm
    Hello again Karm, i tried with nothing but the bottle and a glass and to me it really feels empty. What i like about the other was the "theme" it had, with that last one as you can see, it feels rather... dead, what do you think?

Real Name
    Jon

Jimmy, when you first started this thread, I thought the same thing as Karm, but, as the photos started to come in I "understood" what you were going for, and now I have to agree with you...the last one does seem "dead". Very nice work, keep them coming...I will drink to each one

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jimmy,

Here's my thoughts on the four so far, hope they help;

#1 quite busy and the top is missing (as was discussed in the first thread), also the background on left ends too soon

#2 busy again, but I get the connection, for me the bottle divides the shot in two because central and tall

#3 Not sure of the relevance of the box, I guess it is what the bottle was in, but the comparative distances and angle of view have made it look so tiny, that 'connection' is lost. I'd have left a few more pixels above the neck of the bottle and a bit less empty space on the right.

#4 I'd have taken this one with three things in, e.g. stopper out - you just can't win can you?
    Not sure the minimalist composition suits the aspect ratio and I find the torch's reflector pattern on the wall a distraction in this one (although it suited well in #2)

I can't see any EXIF, but if you are using a tripod and could do a long exposure, you could try waving the torch during say a second (or longer) exposure to see what effect that has, be a bit hit and miss at first I suspect, but practice makes perfect.

Can you number them all next time you add one please?

All the best,

Real Name
    Frank

Hey Jimmy you inspired me for a quick shot: Whisky too
    Cheers & keep them coming.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Jimmy, I agree with you that your last shot with just the bottle and the sniffer seems too empty. I think you need a third item in this picture. Keep in mind that in this type of photography arrangement, lighting, shot angle, etc. are all critical. The arrangement in this picture seems stiff and unnatural. Maybe you addressed this earlier but what are you trying to achieve? Is it an ad shot or a mood shot? Your first shot, minus the bottle's box, comes closest (for me) to a mood pic.

Karm

Real Name
    Jimmy

Hey guys, Thanks a ton for all the feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Jimmy,
    #1 quite busy and the top is missing (as was discussed in the first thread), also the background on left ends too soon
    #2 busy again, but I get the connection, for me the bottle divides the shot in two because central and tall
    #3 Not sure of the relevance of the box, I guess it is what the bottle was in, but the comparative distances and angle of view have made it look so tiny, that 'connection' is lost. I'd have left a few more pixels above the neck of the bottle and a bit less empty space on the right.
    #4 I'd have taken this one with three things in, e.g. stopper out - you just can't win can you?
    Not sure the minimalist composition suits the aspect ratio and I find the torch's reflector pattern on the wall a distraction in this one (although it suited well in #2)
    I can't see any EXIF, but if you are using a tripod and could do a long exposure, you could try waving the torch during say a second (or longer) exposure to see what effect that has, be a bit hit and miss at first I suspect, but practice makes perfect.
    Can you number them all next time you add one please?
    All the best,
    Hi Dave,
    #1, completely agreed, I pseudo fixed the background but I still need to iron it to make it perfect. I quadrupled the surface so it should not be as problematic going forward.

#2, I will try to move the taller object on the side next time to keep the photo“flowing” instead of having them spitted, I honestly did not even realized until you mentioned it!

#3, the box is actually my pipe box, it was there just to fill the picture a bit, however I received a nice gift to help me out with the future shoot I’ll do, I will keep it as a secret for the time being, but you will see soon enough!

#4, same as #3, I have a good idea, stay tuned for the 3rd item

As for the EXIF goes, my apologies, I didn’t refresh the info about my pictures, I’m still getting use about posting that sort of information, however I know that all 4 pictures had identical
    settings:
    Iso:100
    F/16
    Shutter : 10 seconds
    No flash fired, no lights on and shoot in the dark using a flashlight as a PWL tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Jimmy, I agree with you that your last shot with just the bottle and the sniffer seems too empty. I think you need a third item in this picture. Keep in mind that in this type of photography arrangement, lighting, shot angle, etc. are all critical. The arrangement in this picture seems stiff and unnatural. Maybe you addressed this earlier but what are you trying to achieve? Is it an ad shot or a mood shot? Your first shot, minus the bottle's box, comes closest (for me) to a mood pic.
    Karm
    Hi Karm,

It is definitely not a AD shot, if it’s a choice between the two, I’m very much going for mood as I experiment with different background items etc. I’m mostly trying to build photographs that are the most visually pleasing as possible.
    If I may ask, what in the 2nd photo makes you see it as less “moody”. To me it kind of felt... real? Hard to explain but as I look at it I feel like I feel when I’m enjoying scotch and my pipe.

Again thanks you very much for all the great feedback, sorry for the late reply I actually went shopping today and I replaced my camera with a more recent one! (Nikon D5200 replacing my Olympus e-410) I could hardly be more anxious to try it out!

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by scriveyn View Post
    Hey Jimmy you inspired me for a quick shot: Whisky too
    Cheers & keep them coming.
    I Shall! Thanks for the support malt mate!

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Re:Whisky gallery,Jimmy six minutes from my house to here how many bottles would you like?......Whisky gallery.....Whisky gallery

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Jimmy!

Man, you guys and these libation threads are not helping my temporarily imposed abstinence! I will, however, be making up for that in the foreseeable future!

Seeing as how the items added in your shots and the opinions on them are pretty much subjective, I’d just like to say that I agree with Karm and his comment on your first shot. I guess it could be that the box and the bottle are redundant and the crop might be a bit too tight, but I do like the mood of it.

I like the pipe with the tobacco spilling out in #2. As for the water glasses never, and I mean ever, would I even consider a glass of water in a shot of these calibres of whiskey! I’d dump that into the nearest flower pot! The mere thought of diluting these whiskeys makes me cringe! But hey? I’d say whatever you like in the shot is what you like in the shot! I have been told by designers that they like to use odd numbers of items, or framed photos in a group. One, three, etc., but I think a good measure of liquid and a bottle tells the story!

If these were mine, I think I would be more concerned in how they were presented. Specifically the backgrounds and table top. Have you thought about using a continuous sweep background rather than a background and table top. Even a nice sheet of white (or black, or gray, or colored) poster board will work. Being continuous, it does not make so much of a “horizon line” where the background meets the tabletop. The last two have a better transition at the horizon line, but there is a corner visible in the left of the frame in #4. To better control your light spill (and shadows) on the BG’s, one thought might be to try to get the objects further from it.

One other thought might be to see about mitigating the spectral highlights (glare from your lighting) either at the shoot or in post.

Okay! Now I’m thirsty!

Real Name
    Jimmy

Bernard! Pure EVIL! haha one day i will visit Scotland.... one day...

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I have been told by designers that they like to use odd numbers of items, or framed photos in a group. One, three, etc., but I think a good measure of liquid and a bottle tells the story!
    That’s a pretty good point and it’s consistent with the previous comments, I will definitely keep that in mind going forward.
    If these were mine, I think I would be more concerned in how they were presented. Specifically the backgrounds and table top. Have you thought about using a continuous sweep background rather than a background and table top. Even a nice sheet of white (or black, or gray, or colored) poster board will work. Being continuous, it does not make so much of a “horizon line” where the background meets the tabletop. The last two have a better transition at the horizon line, but there is a corner visible in the left of the frame in #4. To better control your light spill (and shadows) on the BG’s, one thought might be to try to get the objects further from it.
    One other thought might be to see about mitigating the spectral highlights (glare from your lighting) either at the shoot or in post.
    Again very good point, I’m in the process of trying something else!
    #2. As for the water glasses never, and I mean ever, would I even consider a glass of water in a shot of these calibres of whiskey! I’d dump that into the nearest flower pot! The mere thought of diluting these whiskeys makes me cringe!
    haha, I don’t want to develop too much on this since its rather off topic and I’m not familiar with the rules of the CiC forums regarding this, but! This is very arguable ! Some whisky gain a lot of flavor and personality when a bit of water is added to break up the mix. When facing cask strength at 60% alcohol, a bit of water goes a long way to bring the taste up. However sometimes it’s is very enjoyable to just drink it as is and burn your mouth off a bit!

there's a guy called Ralfy (www.ralfy.com), he has a lot of vlogs on youtube regarding whiskies (reviews and "lessons"), if you are interested on the matter, he is very interesting to watch!
    Last edited by JimG; 8th April 2013 at 12:31 AM.

Real Name
    Jimmy

Updated: Laphroaig Quarter Cask

EXIF:
    Model - NIKON D5200
    ExposureTime - 10 seconds
    FNumber - 14.00
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100
    Flash - Not fired
    FocalLength - 18.00 mm

Jimmy that first image is quite superb. Good enough for advertising though, perhaps, not in these PC times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast