Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The last (?) snow

Real Name
    Giacomo

The last (?) snow

Hi all,
    I've been far from my photocamera and from this forum, due to my work, for some weeks. Now I'm happy to finally have some time to go around shoting and posting some pics.
    I took this one a couple of days ago during the (hopefully) last heavy snowing on Alpes mountains, near Mount Cervino.
    I did only basic processing (a minor cropping and levels). I was tempted to clone out the power cable on the right, but then I decided to leave it.

Other pics of the "Easter trip" will follow

C&C are welcome

The last (?) snow

Real Name
    Splashy

Re: The last (?) snow

Nice picture, this winter is a drag.

Real Name
    John

One can only hope! Nice image.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very atmospheric. Nice display of the falling snow. Definitely reconsider removing the power line.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I like it, Giacomo. It transmits the atmostphere very well. A B&W version would also be interesting. And I agree that it would be worthwhile removing the power line.

Tony

Real Name
    Giacomo

Thanks all for the comments,
    Tony, I agree that B&W conversion could work - tough I'm not a master in this kind of processing
    I'll be travelling for the next couple of weeks. When I'll be back I will try both removing the power line (it looks like it's a must ) and B&W version.

Giacomo

Real Name
    Giacomo

I finally found some time to play with post-processing.
    Here is the B&W version without the power line, but I've not been able to remove the pole without introducing too many artifacts. How does it looks?

The last (?) snow

I post two pics more, taken a few hours later, when the snow stopped falling, leaving room to a pale sun and some foggy banks that were completely changing both landscape and light every few seconds. It was an exciting challenge!
    C&C welcome

The last (?) snow

The last (?) snow

The last one is really special, though back off the sharpening a bit to eliminate the halos on the grass and tree.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Hello Giacomo:
    I think I prefer the colour version, without the pole. I like the way the pale yellow looks against the overall greyness. It also emphasizes the streaks of snow on the dark gable end of the roof. I am quite familiar with snow, and its many variations, and this is the type that is not pleasant. It is coming in at an angle and no doubt stings when it hits you! Anyway, this is a really moody, atmospheric shot. Great job.

Real Name
    Giacomo

Thanks Mike,
    actually the halos was caused more by chrominance noise (that I forgot to remove...) than by the sharpening. This one has the same sharpening settings, but no halos.

Suzan, you are absolutely right: it was veeeeery stinging! Me too I prefer the color version, for the same reasons that you mentioned. But still I think that it has the potential for a great B&W. The problem here is my limited skillness in B&W conversion

The last (?) snow

This last version makes all the difference in the world. It is so nice that it strongly suggests that your comment about having limited B&W post-processing skills is overstated.

Real Name
    Giacomo

Thank you Mike for encouraging me, but when I compare my attempts with B&W conversions that I often see on this forum I feel some kind of frustration..
    On the other hand, since I'm quite stubborn, I will not stop trying to get better results. Here is another B&W conversion from the same "snowy" series.... I'm enough happy with this

The last (?) snow