Thread: Crows and their pose

Real Name
    Harry

Crows and their pose

Hi all, took these on the weekend, nothing spectacular but I liked the effect - no PP apart from slight cropping, sharpening and B & W conversion in Silver Efex Pro - C &C welcome

1. 1/1000, av 9, iso 100
    Crows and their pose

2. 1/1000,av 9, iso 100
    Crows and their pose

3. 1/1000, av 8, iso 100

Crows and their pose

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Crows and their pose

Nice application of the B&W effect. I like 1 & 2. The pine tree in the background on the left of the post in #3 feels distracting for me. Nothing you could do about it, unless you could have told the crow to freeze, moved back, thereby hiding that tree and had a longer lens? I am visualizing how it would look it it was not there… the birds pose there is great, with the blades of grass, simple image with a bit of texture in the skies and the mood. Take away that tree, and I think it would be a real strong image worthy of the wall.

Real Name
    Bobo

Interesting effect and conversion.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Nice application of the B&W effect. I like 1 & 2. The pine tree in the background on the left of the post in #3 feels distracting for me. Nothing you could do about it, unless you could have told the crow to freeze, moved back, thereby hiding that tree and had a longer lens? I am visualizing how it would look it it was not there… the birds pose there is great, with the blades of grass, simple image with a bit of texture in the skies and the mood. Take away that tree, and I think it would be a real strong image worthy of the wall.
    Thanks Mike, will play around with 3 , was in 2 minds about that tree but agree as it is only on one side it is a bit distracting, will post edit tonight, cheers

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Interesting effect and conversion.
    Hi Bobo, thanks mate, funnily enough the b &w conversion didn't have a huge effect on the pic, will post original tonight so you see what I mean, it was late afternoon and with a few clouds around there wasn't a lot of colour

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Harry

Re: Crows and their pose - update

Ok - did a bit of playing around = c & c appreciated as my PP skills are still average

1. - Original pic unedited
    Crows and their pose

2. b & w edit 1
    Crows and their pose

3. b & w edit 2
    Crows and their pose

Real Name
    Mike

Did you bring the chainsaw out? Good PP in removing any sign of the tree while retaining the grass. The first edit looks like something out of a Alfred Hitchcock movie (cue ominous music).

One general question… in the initial images, the post is more in the center, to the right. In the edits, the post is more to the left of center. That slight shift does change the look. Initial images 1 & 2 above feels visually balanced to me- giving more space in the direction the object is facing. With the 3rd image, the ravens head is looking backwards, while its body is facing the other way. Just wondering out loud as to learn from the collective wisdom here.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Did you bring the chainsaw out? Good PP in removing any sign of the tree while retaining the grass. The first edit looks like something out of a Alfred Hitchcock movie (cue ominous music).

One general question… in the initial images, the post is more in the center, to the right. In the edits, the post is more to the left of center. That slight shift does change the look. Initial images 1 & 2 above feels visually balanced to me- giving more space in the direction the object is facing. With the 3rd image, the ravens head is looking backwards, while its body is facing the other way. Just wondering out loud as to learn from the collective wisdom here.
    Thanks Mike, yes I wore the chainsaw out, lol. Good ? Re- number 3, I actually left more space to the right deliberately as the bird is looking that way, however I don't know if that is technically the correct way to do it, I will re crop and centre tomorrow to see the impact, as you said it will be interesting to see what the collective wisdom thinks, thanks again for looking,
    Cheers

Real Name
    Harry

[QUOTE=Harpo;301926]Did you bring the chainsaw out? The first edit looks like something out of a Alfred Hitchcock movie (cue ominous music).

Hi Mike - -your comment re the Alfred Hitchcock movie prompted me to post this pic I took on the same day - it didnt quite work out as plannned but I think it works for the Hitchcock movie!
    Crows and their pose