Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Software for Picture Frames

Real Name
    Wendy

Software for Picture Frames

I would like to be able to put frames around my photos. Are there any programs, besides Photoshop that can do this? I used to use a free version of Acedce(sp) where I could change the canvas size which would show a white border, or I could apply a basic drop shadow frame in colours of my choice.

I can't use Acedce with the new system. The only software I have right now is Lightroom. I like it, and at this point I think it's all I need for editing, but I can't do frames.

I really don't want to spend close to 1k on Photoshop just so I can make a frame. Does anyone know if Adobe Elements does frames, or if there is some other basic software that I can use for frames.

Thanks
    Wendy

Real Name
    John

Re: Software for Picture Frames

Hi Wendy
    I use Jasc Paintshop Pro as well as Adobe elements. Paintshop Pro lets you put frames and borders on your photos as well as offering all the usual editing of elements. I think you can download a trial version.
    Regards
    John

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Wendy,
    Here's a Lightroom plugin you might want to check out.I haven't tried,but have read good things about it.
    http://www.photographers-toolbox.com...lr2mogrify.php

Jim

Another suggestion plug in by onOne photoframe 4:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/o.h...esoftware.com/

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Does anyone know if Adobe Elements does frames, or if there is some other basic software that I can use for frames.
    Hi Wendy,

I'd be VERY surprised if it couldn't, one way or another.

A quick google produced this, but I'm not sure if you were looking for a slightly more automated way of applying it?

Cheers,

Thoroughly recommend the Mogrify plugin for Lightroom that JimB has provided the link for. For full use a donation is required, $5 is quite sufficient.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks everyone

I will check into all of the above and see which might work the best for me.

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

If you're looking for a standalone program and freeware you might want to look at BORDERMAKER
    http://www.bordermaker.nl/en/home.html

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. A bit of research prompted me to try Mogrify. I was worried because the installation sounded a little technical (to me ) but decided to give it a go. I followed the instructions and hoped for the best. The instructions are well written and easy to follow, but I always worry whether I got the right version for the OS I'm using, or if I installed everything in the right place and so on and so on....

Anyway, long story short. I seem to have downloaded the right version and installed everything correctly, because it's doing what it says it will do and nothing has crashed yet.

Once it's installed it's very strait forward and simple to use. There's a Quick Start link on the Web Page and also an FAQ. I've also found lots of Tutorials and other Web pages specifically for this Plug In. It seems to be well supported. If there are problems, there is even a log that can be turned on and you can email the log to get support to fix any issues.

It might take me some time to create a frame that compliments the photo, but the plugin gives you lots of flexibility, and there's a long winter coming.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, by going on about this. I just like it when something works, so I wanted to let others who might be looking for the same thing know that it looks like a good one.

Wendy