Thread: Hiching a Ride

Real Name
    Roger

Hiching a Ride

Reasonably pleased with this, had to do a fair crop, any comments welcomed as always...The white bits on the neck were water droplets.
    Hiching a Ride

Re: Hiching a Ride

Could you get away with a crop which wasn't quite so close, Roger, or did you have to crop away unwanted areas?

Nice scene.

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Could you get away with a crop which wasn't quite so close, Roger, or did you have to crop away unwanted areas?

Nice scene.
    When I looked at the original I hadn't cropped as much as a I thought, this is the original but I thought the extra water detracted from the main picture, and I thought it balanced it better....................Thanks for your comments, comments are always useful thats how we learn, and boy am I learning.
    Hiching a Ride

I was hoping, Roger, that you had a little extra space on the left not the right. At the moment the bird's head is rather closer to the image edge than I would have liked to see under ideal conditions.

But not too serious a problem for such an interesting scene.

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I was hoping, Roger, that you had a little extra space on the left not the right. At the moment the bird's head is rather closer to the image edge than I would have liked to see under ideal conditions.

But not too serious a problem for such an interesting scene.
    Hi Geoff, Ok I see where your coming from, as I'm new to this I keep thinking I need to fill the frame before taking the picture, maybe I should zoom out a little to give me some room for manoeuvre.....Thanks Roger

That also gives a little bit of space for straightening a horizon, etc. With today's massive file sizes you can allow for a little bit of 'rearrangement' and still print at A4 with no problems.

Real Name
    Shane

Roger, since it is simply water, why not try to extend the canvas as needed and use the content aware fill feature to replicate the water. It usually does a pretty good job in situations like these and you can always tweak it by cloning or using the healing brush selectively...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Notice that there is little detail in the white feathers. Select that area and apply an inverted S-Curve. Then perhaps apply some Local Contrast Enhancement to that area to bring out even more detail. Some of the white area won't be improved due to the flat lighting, but most if it will be much better.

Real Name
    Roger

Hello, To Mick and Shane Thank you for your comments as you can tell I'm new to all this and I haven't got any software as yet to play around with, all I'm using is Pacasa..................I will later today put some other pictures on and be asking the question to crop or not................Thanks for your help and comments.........Roger

Real Name
    Muhammad Alwi

Canon SX50 HS. I sure like to know the focal length you are using or can some one help me how to get the EXIF data?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Roger,

Your first post's crop is good, but Shane's idea is worth a go, when you have something like PS Elements or GIMP which can do that kind of thing. Shooting a little wider angle is advisable.

The image seems to be over exposed looking at the histogram, there's a line of pixels climbing the right side, so (unless this happened in Picasa) you have lost some detail if you shot jpg, but if you shot RAW, it may be recoverable.

Hi Muhammad,

From the EXIF, the focal length was shown as 17.83mm, but to equate that to something we can all relate to, it probably needs multiplying by the crop factor; 17.83 x 5.6 = 100mm FFE.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Ribut View Post
    Canon SX50 HS. I sure like to know the focal length you are using or can some one help me how to get the EXIF data?
    Mat Focal lenght 17.8mm or in old money 104mm, Shutter 1000, Aperture 4.66, F/stop F5, ISO 200