Thread: Lens upgrade

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Lens upgrade

Hi all,haven't been here for a while,apologies to all.I had forgotten how good this site is.
    I have a Canon EOS 60d with the ef-s 17-55 f2.8, 50 f1.8 and the 55-250 f4 to f5.6 lens.Now I am looking to upgrade the 55-250 lens.
    I generally shoot landscape,macro,garden birds,street and general photography.I am looking to get the ef 70-300 L IS USM f4 to 5.6 lens.The reviews I have read so far have been very positive and I like the fact that the lens is compact.
    Has anyone got this lens,if so could you please give me your opinions. I think it would suite my needs well.
    Thanks to all for any info.

Des

Re: Lens upgrade

I was looking at this lens when it first appeared, to update my old 70-300 non L lens, but before the L version was available in the UK, so I ended up getting the 70-200 L F4 lens instead. That is certainly an excellent lens.

More recently, a friend purchased the 70-300 L and he finds it works well with no problems.

I have the Sigma 150-500 to extend beyond 200 mm; but that certainly isn't compact or an easy carry lens. However, it is useful for wildlife when 300 mm wouldn't be sufficiently large.

Real Name
    Steve

Des, bobo has that lens. You may want to PM him about it.

Real Name
    Mike

I bought the 70-300 L last year. It seemed to catch on slowly, but now its really being recognized as a good lens for many people. I really like it. Check out the pictures with the 70-300L on POTN here. I mainly go to that site due to the numerous photographic examples being posted from all over, not the discussion or advice.

From what you said, you are looking for a telephoto lens that gives you good reach, good image quality and is light enough to be a walk around?

1) This lens on your 60D would give you a range of 480mm, so it is a lot of reach right there for a walk around.

2) Ive read that many have said the 70-300L compares closely to the 70-200L 2.8 II in IQ. I rented the 70-200L f2.8 II before purchasing the 70-300L. I have to agree that the IQ in both are very sharp.

3) You mentioned the weight. The 70-300L is lighter than the 70-200L, making it a good walk around telephoto in many situations where that length is needed.

Real Name
    Richard

I purchased the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens when it was first introduced and I have been using it and loving it ever since... The 70-300mm f/4-5.6L was not available at that time. If it had been available, I would really have had some problems deciding which lens to select...

Although I love my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens, especially used on a pair of 1.6x cameras along with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, I think that I might have opted for the 70-300L because of the extra 100mm at the long end. It would really depend on just how well I could hand-hold the 70-300L. The 70-200L is a great lens to hand-hold...

For my uses, the 70-200mm is just fine! However, I may consider selling my 70-200mm f/4L IS; my 300mm f/4L IS and my 1.4x TC to switch over to the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS lens...

I would certainly come out financially ahead in that transaction. It would also be lighter in weight than the two lens + TC combination...

Whatever lens that you select, I would definitely pick one with IS. Stabilization is the way to go with long focal length lenses...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st March 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Thanks Geoff,Steve,Mike and Richard,appreciate your replies.
    Steve,thanks for the info on bobo,I will send a pm.
    I had thought of the 70-200 previously but the reach was a little short and I didn't fancy adding an extender.With the crop factor of my 60d I recon it will be a good combination.
    Thanks guys.

Des

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by mondmagu View Post
    ... I generally shoot landscape,macro,garden birds,street and general photography. ...
    I think for these uses the 70-300L is a good fit. Particularly if you want a more compact lens.

If, however, you wanted to pursue birding photography past the ones in the garden and out into the wild, I would recommend also considering the venerable 100-400L, as it's mostly the same price as the 70-300L. It's not as compact, true, but it's not that huge as white L lenses go, either.

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Thanks for the reply Kathy,I don't think I will be going deep into birding photography.

Des

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by mondmagu View Post
    Thanks for the reply Kathy,I don't think I will be going deep into birding photography.

Des
    That's what I said when I started. Now I own an EF 400mm f/5.6L USM and a Sibley's guide.