Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Duality

Real Name
    Tom

Duality

Not quite sure how I feel about this one. I have PP it, but not sure if I like the image or the idea more? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. CC welcome all around.

Here is what I like, the way the light and dark are separated by me, hence the duality of my nature and nature as a whole. I feel this balance between the two is demonstrated by the colors and composition. However, one thing that bothers me is the grass on the right. Yes, life flourishes on the light side of the energy scale in this universe, but it creates imbalance.

Did I capture the subject with the mood of hope yet with acceptance of the dark sides of the path of life?

Duality

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Duality

Nice concept, Tom. I think the image might have worked better to convey the symbolism you intended if the grassy patches weren't in the frame.

Real Name
    Tom

Are there any other supporting or unsupporting factors anyone else can think of? I keep coming back to "meh", maybe it is the desire or fear alone leading to my own approving or not approving for my own content in the moment.

I am going to try lighting the grass. If something is off maybe it could become a focal point?

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Tom.

I have to admit that I don't think the way you do about things. It's way over my head, so I can not relate to how well you've expressed your thoughts and feelings in this image. Having said that, I find this is a really nice composition. To me it tells a story of a man sitting by the edge of the water either deep in concentration or just enjoying the beauty of what lies in front of him. I love the silhouetted shapes and the color of the sky.

Hope this helps.

I think I would like to try some slightly tighter crops, just a fraction though.

Possibly start with a little from the bottom and the same amount from the right side. Which would reduce the heavy impact of that grassy area, as Greg mentioned. And it would move the figure a little more off centre.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Tom. like the idea behind the picture. However, the subject in this picture seems too frozen, almost statuette.

Karm

Real Name
    Tom

Ken it's ok. The only thing I am consistent at is being inconsistent. I constantly confuse myself somewhat inconsistently. I like the image for the reasons you stated as well, although I think it is falling short of the message I am trying to convey. I was hoping to make this a center piece for a show coming up. The show features artists with mental disorders and how art helps them deal with the issues of their disease. I have a few other ideas so I am going to keeping trying until that one is undeniable to myself.
    Geoff, I cropped the image and really like the outcome. It adds a little more complexity and breaks up the solid feeling a bit.
    Karm, totally agree. You helped inspire me for additional ideas. Thank you.