Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Heavy meditation

Real Name
    Reima

Heavy meditation

Hello!

Haven't posted here in some time now, but something made me think of this site, and here I am.

I made this composite portrait of my guitar playing friend about two weeks ago. I took the shots used in this with my new, but bought used, 14mm Samyang with my crop sensor 450D. I shot the background first, so I could try to imitate the lighting better when shooting the model. Merging and retouching took a bit of time, but I'm somewhat happy with the outcome, and my friend also liked the picture.

I think that all the technical challenges might have dented the aesthetics of this shoot. It's still hard to make out how this looks like, i have looked at it too much. All the thoughts, critique and questions are very welcome!

Heavy meditation

reima

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Heavy meditation

I think the results are great Reima. A fun concept and the editing looks to be very well done. How long did you spend on it? The only thing I would question is the background. It seems totally out of place for the subject to me. There are lots of hard lines that are distracting from the subject and it takes up quite a bit of room in the photo. Is there some significance to a dreary concrete store-front that I am not understanding?

Real Name
    Reima

Thanks for the comment!

Post processing took perhaps about six hours, i think. Lots of time wasted on going back steps and re-doing them.

Well, I think that the Finnish music, heavy and other, is a bit melancholic. Finnish heavy genre musicians and artists might be a bit attracted to things drab, rugged and cold. We thought that this would be good environment for the guru. About those lines, we were (edit: I was) hoping that those combined with the angle of the view would give some flair to the dramatic, the ceiling is quite high after all. Perhaps that one was not such a success

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Reima,

That is an impressive piece of work and no mistake - wouldn't look out of place as an album/CD cover.

I guess my first thought was whether the background should have been perspective corrected to straighten the verticals - and I'm still not sure.

I am not sure the bit 'going around the corner' is necessary either, with that cropped off, I think it looks better.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Reima

Thanks Dave!

I think you're right about the corner, you're not the first one to mention it, and I am too starting to think that the picture would fare better without it.

And about the perspective correction, I didn't even realize that I had not corrected it. Now that you mentioned it, it's quite obvious, but I didn't see it before. And I even have this self made correction profile for the lense -.-

reima

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Reima, love the core image. I agree with Dave about eliminating the stuff around the corner. You know your audience best about the best background for your picture. When I look at your image I see a take on a Hindu deity. Might be fun to develop this theme.

Karm

Real Name
    Graham Heron

One man band, busking on the corner of nirvana.
    I like
    Graham

Real Name
    Roger

Awesome shot and Photoshop work, what band does your friend play for?

Real Name
    Reima

Thanks for the comments!

The band is called Kilgrin. They have a facebook site, facebook.com/kilgrinband. I also took some promo shots for these guys. These are all shot in the same session against a white canvas.

Heavy meditation

Heavy meditation

Heavy meditation

Real Name
    Lex

That is an utterly badass photo. Excellent work! Cropping the corner will help, but considering that your subject is a six-armed levitating, axe-wielding, bearded, Finnish, death-metal Shiva, I really doubt most viewers will notice the corner. The wall and column frame the subject very effectively.