Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Good sources for used cameras/asian market

Good sources for used cameras/asian market

Anyone have any thoughts on goods sources for used cameras?

Also, I've heard that electronic equipment is significantly cheaper in certain Asian markets. My brother-in-law is traveling there in January and wanted to see if anyone has thoughts about getting legit cameras and how much cheaper they actually are (not wanting him to buy one in an alley!

Thanks for the input in advance.

Doug

Re: Good sources for used cameras/asian market

www.keh.com is a great place to look for used equipment. Other shops are BH, Adorama, and Samy's Camera.

Here's the problem with buying gear overseas. The warranty card will not be accepted state side, so any issues you have will be paid out of pocket. Or you will have ship the camera overseas for repairs, so it's a risk you will have to consider.

Photography is expensive in general and often times, short cuts will be costly in the long run of things. There are so many people out there who are after the latest, greatest, and newest gear that you can easily pick up a used dslr that's barely touched (less than 4000 actuations which is nothing, hardly broken in).

You should also consider Craig's List locally too.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 16th November 2009 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks. The warranty/repair disadvantage makes sense. I was leaning toward the Craig's List type mode and you've confirmed it for me.

Cameras nowadays are more like computers. I've recently sent in my D3 for service because of a faulty microchip that they replaced. Works great again and I wasn't without it for too long.

Also Doug, "Grey Market" sales (though you really don't save "that much") will have the same standings were the warranty will not apply. I understand that every little penny saved is important to a lot of people (I'm a girl with an eye for a bargain) but this is one area that it may come back to bite you. It's just a question of whether you are willing to take a risk or not.

I've purchased grey market lenses in the past, and thus far no issues. But I have known people in the past who weren't as lucky.

Real Name
    Elie

Good advice given.

For used I usually look on the following sites:

KEH
    Adorame used
    B&H used
    Fred Miranda, buy and sell forum
    Usedcameras.com (might get 5% discount if you fan them on facebook).

Enjoy

I'll check out those sources as I'm getting close to buying something. Thanks for the input!

dg