Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Itsy bitsy spiders

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Itsy bitsy spiders

While away for a couple weeks I got these great shots of some tiny spiders in the morning. C&C welcome.

Itsy bitsy spiders
    Crab Spider.2 by Tobias Weber, on Flickr

Itsy bitsy spiders
    Crab Spider2.2 by Tobias Weber, on Flickr

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Itsy bitsy spiders

Tobias,

Two nice spider shots, but unless they are called different things where you live, those are not crab spiders. Crab spiders don't normally build webs, these both appear to have built orb type webs.

- Bill

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

That's what I thought too but I was told by someone that they are actually a type of crab spider, but he may have been mistaken.

Real Name
    Lex

The colors in the first shot are great, but the detail seems a little lacking. The green spot in the upper left is a little distracting, too. That might make shot 1 a good candidate for selective desaturation.

I'd try rotating shot 2 ninety degrees counterclockwise. I find myself turning my head to try and see the details more clearly. It might work rather well in a vertical orientation. Detail and focus are very good.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Hey Lex
    Thanks for the pointers, the reason the detail is lacking is because this was very very early in the morning and there was just barely any light so my ISO was extremely high leading to a fair bit of noise. As to the rotating of the second Image I disagree, I really like the way it is because that is how the spider was sitting in its web and if i were to rotate the image it would mean it would be sitting upside down.

Real Name
    Bill S

Toby,

I am glad to see you refuse the suggestion to rotate #2. I've received that kind of suggestion from folks plenty of times on spider photos, but they just don't look natural when you do that. There is something about the way the silk and the body of the spider sits, that when you rotate it to an unnatural orientation, it just looks weird. You definitely made the right call here.

- Bill