Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sap season

Real Name
    Debbie

Sap season

Tis the season.....maple syrup season that is. The trees are tapped all over our small city. These are in a cemetary close to my home.

Black & white post processing is not my forte, but I wanted to see what I could come up with. I started with some of the presets in LR.

C & C welcome - Thanks for looking

Sap season

Sap season

Sap season

Sap season

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Sap season

Interesting that they still do things the old-fashioned way. We were at one of the local sugar bushes today and all the taps connect with plastic tubing and run into larger collection pipes. It's nice to see things still done the old fashioned way. The setting with the maple trees and tap buckets with the old head stones works quite nicely. I think that the black & white approach you used adds to the atmosphere. Nicely done!

The buckets are far more photogenic than this:

Sap season

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks for the comment regarding the photos.

The commercial full time operations are definitely all rigged up the same as your photo utilizing the blue tubing and vacuum pumps to suck the sap from the trees. The buckets are put out by the hobbiests, but still kinda nice to see them all over town.

The idea sounds good, Debbie, but these photos aren't quite right for me.

I can't see any shooting details but wonder if a narrower aperture to give more depth of sharp focus or even a combination of a couple of shots with different focus points (subject to suitable software) may have given a better result.

The last one in particular would have worked for me if the foreground had been sharper. Or even a tighter crop to reduce the amount of out of focus area.

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks Geoff. I agree. I saw these trees on earlier outting. I knew what I wanted to do.....and the minute I looked through the lens, I knew I had the wrong one. LIve and learn.