Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sea salt

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Sea salt

Sea salt being harvested in West Bali. The water is evaporated and the salt is crystallized.

Sea salt
    Pic #01

Sea salt
    Pic #02

Camera setting:
    EOS 5DII, EF 14mm f/2.8L II IS USM ultra-wide angle lens, A priority, ISO 100, 1/1000 sec, Metering mode: Centreweight-average, handheld.

Your c & c is helpful and would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Walj; 22nd March 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Re: Sea salt

The horizon line is halfway (between top and bottom edges) which is usually best avoided. But in this case, I don't find that to be an issue.

I suppose it would be possible to crop a little from the sky and right edge. But that seems likely to lose as much as it gains.

The straight lines are converging to a distant point on the horizon which gives plenty of depth.

So yes, I like it.

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The horizon line is halfway (between top and bottom edges) which is usually best avoided. But in this case, I don't find that to be an issue.

I suppose it would be possible to crop a little from the sky and right edge. But that seems likely to lose as much as it gains.

The straight lines are converging to a distant point on the horizon which gives plenty of depth.

So yes, I like it.
    Hi Geoff,

How about that? Is this what you meant? If otherwise could you show me? Thanks in advance..

Sea salt
    Pic #01a

Sea salt
    Pic #02a

Yes Walad, your re edit is exactly what I was intending. You could lose a little from the right side if you wanted to retain the same image ratio; but there is a good argument for leaving the right side and changing the ratio, as you have done.

This crop makes the horizon appear more distant without losing too much from the clouds; and it moves the emphasis from the sky to the salt working. But either version would be acceptable.

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your valuable comments and tips. I really appreciate it very much.

Btw, with regard to 14mm wide angle lens I find it a little too wide. I have same lens but it's a Samyang Korean made and hardly use. What say you about this lens?