Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: need opinion on upcoming camera add ons

need opinion on upcoming camera add ons

Now holiday times is coming and I plan to get myself some add-ons to my gear.
    Since I plan to do more landscapes this winter and next year,
    A LOT of people recommend me a CPL.

1. Now I'm using an XSI, and often my lens of choice for landscape is the 10-20. What would be a great CPL for this lens?
    I'm thinking of the BW 77mm SLIM CPL.. what's the difference between the 'normal' one and the "kaesemann" ?
    Might also buy some adaptor ring to fit this CPL on my other smaller diameter lenses.

2. I already own a few GND, but I'm thinking of getting a real ND screw-on filter for long exposure landscape. I read many places about the B+W 10-stops filter. but CAN'T FIND IT locally.
    Where did you get yours?
    Does it have really heavy color cast? Is PP inavoidable to remove the colour cast or it can be compensated in camera?
    Is it worth the cost?
    btw, before someone suggests it, SinghRays are not affordable options haha, sad but true.

3. I might go camping and do A LOT of hiking with camera on hand.
    When walking a long time with the camera (especially attached to the 70-300 lens), my hand feel tired. Will the grip give me more confortable use?
    Does the grip have a tripod screw hole beneath it ?
    Between getting a used Canon grip or a new Opteka grip, what would you choose?
    And I plan on getting some third party batteries on DealExtreme:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20710

4. For traveling, I realized I was a mistake buying the Lowepro EX180... such a pain to open and to carry (especially when it gets heavy)
    So I'm thinking of a 'back pack' but without having to stop and put down the bag in order to get something.
    The only solution I've found so far is the Slingshot with its 'ready and carry modes'. I'm not sure if it will fit all my gear though.
    Does someone can think of any alternatives, in any brand I don't care.
    What it has to contain:
    XSI (assume it will be gripped)
    sigma 10-20
    nifty fifty
    70-300 is usm
    dustblower
    two Cokin GND
    future probable CPL + ND filter
    spare batteries
    remote
    and if possible, some place for water bottle and snacks when I'm doing some mountain hiking.

thanks very much!
    Last edited by Zephyrize; 14th November 2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: correction

Real Name
    Steve

Re: need opinion on upcoming add ons. thanks

CPL? If you mean circular polarizer; always go for good ones marked professional. If you have a Cokin holder go for one one those.

Yes, circular polarizer.
    B+W is a reputable brand.. I just don't know the difference between the two models I mentioned, both are 77mm and slim...
    and I choose to handhold the GND, because a filter holder would vignette badly at 10mm (16 eq.)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrize View Post
    A LOT of people recommend me a CPL.
    A lot sure do - but I'm not one of them. I've got two and NEVER have a use for either. On a wide-angle lens about all they're going to do is give you uneven skies..

If you're after memorable landscape then these need to be shot as dusk or dawn to avoid harsh shadows (the "golden hour").

I can't see why you'd want to slow your exposure down unless there's water involved; if you've got the storage capacity then you can take multiple shots and blend them in PP.

With regards to holding the camera - you'll probably want a neck strap or a hand strap (I just use the latter, but I wouldn't want to have to hold a camera this way for hours and hours). Something like a spider holster might work for you as well?

Kaesemann filters are billed as possessing high uniformity and colour neutrality, and are sealed around the edges to reduce the risk of delamination. Kaesemann filters are usually sold under Schneider Kreuznach’s brand name B+W.

Because of the edges being sealed, rotating the front filter element will be stiff compared to a regular B+W CPL. The slim or thin mount is to reduce vignetting but lens caps will have a harder time staying on.

Try looking at BH or Adorama for your B+W filters, they have a pretty good selection.

Ugh, was never a fan of the slingshot bags for long hikes. Backpack camera bags are handy when you're hiking, and there are many brands to choose from. Tenba, Lowepro, and Tamrac are a few brands that I've used over the years. You should really go and physically try on camera backpacks to see if they work for you. Not all packs are designed for shooters with really narrow or sloping shoulders. Be aware that some packs are moderate to solidly heavy even when empty. But definitely consider one with a hidden raincoat and all weather proofing.

Camera strap that would work well for a backpack, I recommend the Safari Strap by Trekking:
    http://www.adorama.com/CZTSS.html. You won't hang or lynch yourself when you remove your backpack, and the second strap is handy for binoculars.

The battery grip will help you get a better hold and little more balance to your XSi. Yes, it will have a tripod screw mount underneath. Only the higher end zoom (commercial) will have tripod collar mounts on the telephoto zooms.

If you're complaining about how heavy your current setup is, you're in for a rude awakening if you ever decided to upgrade to the 50D and up with pro lenses. LOL.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 14th November 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks for the replies,
    I interesting to see opposing ideas and alternatives.
    I still have to weight the pros and cons of a polarizer.

I'll definitely stop at my local photo store to tryout the bags, it is indeed, the best way to make a choice!
    I agree with you Colin, for the few times I'll shoot water scenes, I might as well just spend more time on PP.

As for the grip, I think I'll pass. I don't think it's wise to burn 150 bucks for a camera that might be gone by next year; let's grow some muscles instead
    anyway, I will probably wait for the holidays and invest those dollars on a real tripod system to replace my pitiful Slik that gets blown by the morning wind. After all, landscape calls for a steady pod

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    If you're complaining about how heavy your current setup is, you're in for a rude awakening if you ever decided to upgrade to the 50D and up with pro lenses. LOL.
    don't worry, I'll be ready