Thread: New DSLR Cameras from Canon

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: New DSLR Cameras from Canon

The SL1 records only JPEG stills? (i.e. Not raw)

Seems strange that Canon would think that feature would sell.
    But, maybe the SL 1 will be lots cheaper than the T5i . . . but it still seems strange, to me.

WW

Real Name
    Dan

Sigh. Need to wait longer yet to find out what is in store for the replacements for the 60D and 7D....

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by William W

B&H's Canon SL1 specs page says the SL1 can record both JPEG and RAW formats. Considering there are compacts that can record RAW, omitting it would have been odd. Curious about the SL1's image quality... But like others here, I'm more interested in the rumored 70D and 7D mkII.

I find the granularity at the lower end of Canon's range puzzling. Do the differences between the SL1 ($650), T5i ($750), T4i ($800), and T3i ($600), really justify 4 separate models? The only significant feature difference seems to be STM support.
    Last edited by RustBeltRaw; 21st March 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's being called the 100D over here.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Sigh. Need to wait longer yet to find out what is in store for the replacements for the 60D and 7D....
    Canonrumors is saying April for the 70D. Speculation is the 7DMkII (or whatever) is likely to be a fall announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    ... I find the granularity at the lower end of Canon's range puzzling. Do the differences between the SL1 ($650), T5i ($750), T4i ($800), and T3i ($600), really justify 4 separate models? The only significant feature difference seems to be STM support.
    On B&H, the prices (body only) are T5i: $750, T4i $650, T3i $530. B&H is displaying the MSRP, but if you click on the "see price in cart", you get the actual street price they're asking. So, the differentiation and tiering is a little clearer. But you also forgot the 1100D/T3. It's selling at $430. Hundred bucks per tier.

The T3i will be dropped from the current lineup now the T5i is out--Canon's always kept the last generation of Rebel around at a lower price for a year. The dRebels get refreshed once a year, which is the fastest cycle of any of Canon's dSLRs. Everything will drop in price as the year goes on. What I'm curious about is whether the 100D/SL1 now replaces the XXXXD line. And how they're going to number these things after two generations. Would've been sooo much cleaner if they'd just made this thing the 1150D or 1200D.

The interesting thing is watching Canon flail about and be beaten at every turn by the competition as they attempt to combat MILC and large-sensor compacts. They started with the G1X (but no, what we want is APS-C, not 2%-bigger-than-four-thirds, and a decent viewfinder if you're gonna fix the lens. Fuji X100 all the way). Then the EOS M (well, no, m4/3 and NEX are lower-priced and fuller-featured and the AF is better), and now the 100D (did they learn nothing from Pentax's release of the K-01? and discontinuation of the K-r/K-x?). The Panasonic GH series isn't a winnah because it's a tiny dRebel--it's a winnah because it's closer to being a prosumer cam with awesome video features in a tiny dSLR shape--neither of which the 100D is.

Of these three models, (GX1, EOS-M, and SL1), only the EOS-M appealed to me. And I have a feeling that because their first try out of the gate was a miss for the mirrorless compact crowd, Canon assumed that they need to scrap that design entirely and move on to "something else." When all they need to do is fix the AF speed, add a damn viewfinder, and give us an ultrawide and a portrait prime . The most maddening thing is that Canon actually does have real features that differentiate them from all the other MILC cameras: the Canon hotshoe protocol and speedlight lineup, full-EOS-compatibility with AF, and the Canon menu system. I've picked up an EOS-M and played with it for a few minutes, and it felt like coming home after the demented Panasonic menus in my G3. [I rely almost entirely on the customizable quick menu on my G3 rather than the standard menus].

I get that for Canon, the 100D makes sense: no need to develop new lenses--but that's why the Pentax K-01 went nowhere. And I'm sure a lot of the "I wanna upgrade my snapshots" crowd will find the 100D attractive, but it doesn't negate the fact that EOS lenses are still as big, heavy, and expensive as they've always been. This is basically just a Canon version of the Pentax K-x--only without the pretty colors.
    Last edited by inkista; 21st March 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks Lex.

FOR CLARITY of these points -

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    But, maybe the SL 1 will be lots cheaper than the T5i . . . but it still seems strange, to me.
    WW
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    B&H's Canon SL1 specs page says the SL1 can record both JPEG and RAW formats. Considering there are compacts that can record RAW, omitting it would have been odd.

The original link Colin supplied had an error of omission in it.
    When I read the link last night, it read that the SL1 could not record in raw

Subsequently that page has been corrected by B&H – another reader spied the oddity too – here is an extract from the feeback at the bottom of the link:

“Submitted by Peter on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 12:18pm.
    I am surprised the SL1 does not shoot RAW.

Submitted by Chuck C from B&H Photo on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 12:56pm.
    Hello,
    It does, we fixed our spec sheet.”

WW

Real Name
    Richard

I really think that the camera manufacturers like Canon are actually cutting their own throats in a marketing sense by having so many dfferent and somewhat overlapping models. That was part of the problem with the U.S. Auto Industry...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I really think that the camera manufacturers like Canon are actually cutting their own throats in a marketing sense by having so many dfferent and somewhat overlapping models. That was part of the problem with the U.S. Auto Industry...
    It might seem that way to us, but I wonder what their rationale is?

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by inkista
    On B&H, the prices (body only) are T5i: $750, T4i $650, T3i $530. B&H is displaying the MSRP, but if you click on the "see price in cart", you get the actual street price they're asking. So, the differentiation and tiering is a little clearer. But you also forgot the 1100D/T3. It's selling at $430. Hundred bucks per tier.
    Ah. Sneaky. But a $320 price range in options for that part of the market makes more sense.

Real Name
    Yes

I must admit the new canon looks attractive as a compact lightweight camera to take hiking. With a proper eyepiece it would be better option than EOS M. Ops I bought an M for long walks.