Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Calcified Coral

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Calcified Coral

Loved this rock. Several others in the same vicinity so will go back and work the scene earlier or later in the day (this was way too late, around 10am). Almost like a moonscape (without the dust), as the foreground is so devoid of colour.

Graham

Calcified Coral

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Calcified Coral

I'd like to see this subject shot from a much lower angle and also much closer, allowing most of the rock to rise above the horizon and showing more detail in the rock itself.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

See what you mean Mike.
    And now for the excuse .
    This section of land is in a lowered area cut out from the surrounding rock. I'm already looking slightly upwards from around 12" off the ground.
    Wimp excuse added in here.
    The rock is EXTREMELY sharp and coarse and I didn't want to get down to my knees. What a wus I am.

BTW, here's a close up of a similar rock. Great texture and detail in it. Imagine the stuff you could use it as a backdrop for. Or even the Mimimiam pictures (http://www.minimiam.com/en/goen.html).
    Graham
    Calcified Coral

Real Name
    Bobo

That is one fancy specimen. Hope to see some more of this one.

Get a pair of knee pads or a gardener's mat for that next time.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I definitely agree with Bobo; get back to the scene with the proper equipment and enjoy the possibilities!

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Good to see you didnt stomp all over the coral, it take forever to grow and only minutes to die from our curiosity. The shot is a bit colourless but is interesting.

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Wimp excuse added in here.
    The rock is EXTREMELY sharp and coarse and I didn't want to get down to my knees. What a wus I am.
    You can get pants with built-in pockets for foam knee pads. If I know I'll be kneeling a lot, I'll even break out my hard-capped skate pads. Definitely reduces one's reticence to hit the deck when a photo beckons.

I like the shot, and I'd echo calls for a tighter, lower angle (skinned knees might be worth it). In the current photo (post 1), I'd clone out the moss at the lower left, and selectively sharpen the coral to concentrate the viewer's focus. Maybe reduce contrast in the non-coral rocks, too. But overall, I like it. Definitely not a typical landscape.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Good to see you didnt stomp all over the coral, it take forever to grow and only minutes to die from our curiosity. The shot is a bit colourless but is interesting.
    Thanks all for your comments, definitely need to get back there. Plus the birds from the other thread (Grass is Greener).

Wayne, the coral is calcified - so it not alive. The whole island is effectively made of calcified coral when the water levels were a little higher. So what with global warming, this place may not be around in the not so distant future (one good storm surge at high tide with higher water level due to glacial ice melting and I'm without a paddle).

I did investigate the other side (or a man-made harbour, cut out from the rock) and it's easier access, but not as varied.
    Graham