Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Trunk

Real Name
    Phil Page

The Trunk

The trunk of Palm Jumeirah is home to apartment buildings, hotels, bars, restaurants and beach clubs and is where I call home. The fronds of Palm Jumeirah are where all the villas are - far more exclusive

Running up the spine of the Palm is a monorail, and a park area which has recently been completed. I thought I'd take some long exposure nightscapes this evening as I haven't for a while.

1. Looking towards Atlantis (obscured by the converging monorail lines). Single exposure, 10s, f5.6

The Trunk

2. Shoreline Apartments, viewed from the running track around the park. Multiple exposures (-2, 0, +2EV), blended with Photomatix

The Trunk

3. Monorail train passing through. Single exposure, 4s, f8

The Trunk

4. Monorail train passing overhead. Single exposure, f5.6 and ISO400 to get a faster shutter of 1.3s

The Trunk

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: The Trunk

Hi, Phil. I really like #'s 1 and 2. I'm undecided about the moving trains on the others- did you take any exposures at a slightly higher SS? I wonder how they would look with slightly more form and less motion blur.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: The Trunk

Thanks for the feedback, Kevin. I was speeding up my shutter speed but then ran out of trains! They run every 20 minutes in the evening and then stopped altogether. I was getting up to ISO800 as it was, and if you push the ISO too high in high contrast scenes at night you get banding in the dark areas on the D700 so didn't want to go too far.