Thread: What the MUST-HAVEs for Landscape Photography

What the MUST-HAVEs for Landscape Photography

I'm new and still learning how to take great (I'd be happy with good!) photos. In less than two weeks I'll be in New Zealand on what for me, is the trip of a lifetime. So I want to make sure I return with the absolutely best pictures I can get.

I'm expecting it will largely be wide expansive views, beach views, mountains views, waterfalls and caves.
    I've scoured the internets for everything I might need and have come up with the following collection of stuff that I am still desperately trying to learn how to use.

Am I missing anything?

My Equipment:

Canon Rebel T3
    Tripod
    Remote trigger

Lenses:
    Kit 18-55mm
    Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
    Canon 40mm EF f/2.8 STM

Flash:
    YongNuo YN-468 II E-TTL Speedlite

Filters:
    Hoya 77,58,52mm HRT Circular PL
    Hoya 77mm Neutral Density x400 (9-stop)
    B+W 77mm 502 Graduated 0.6 ND (3-stop)

Extra batteries, SD cards and a backpack to carry it all!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: What the MUST-HAVEs for Landscape Photography

That seems enough to be going on with for the moment!

By the way, don't forget the battery chargers!

Real Name
    Jason

Seems like a complete list to me. Just don't forget your usual hiking kit when you go. Not sure if your phone will work over there so a one month international plan might be a nice edition. That way if you have a smart phone you can use the gps if available. I would add a flashlight just in case or if you want to try light painting or find you way home back home in the dark.

Real Name
    Andrew

Not a landscape expert, but I would suggest the 40, and 50mm lenses to be pretty redundant, especially since you also have that length covered with your kit lens. So, maybe just choose one to save a wee bit of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Not a landscape expert, but I would suggest the 40, and 50mm lenses to be pretty redundant, especially since you also have that length covered with your kit lens. So, maybe just choose one to save a wee bit of space.
    Yeah, they are pretty redundant. The 40mm was a stupid purchase based on something I read when I first got my camera. But I have still found uses for it, It has a lower f/stop than the kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    ...I would add a flashlight just in case or if you want to try light painting or find you way home back home in the dark.
    Good call on the flashlight! I'll be picking up a SIM with a prepaid plan while I'm over there, but nevertheless, the data coverage is miserable, so I'll be using a handheld Garmin GPS with preloaded maps

Real Name
    Richard

Since this is a very important trip, and you mentioned "I want to make sure I return with the absolutely best pictures I can get."

I suggest that you try either a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lens or a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC lens and compare the quality to the 75-300mm which you are presently using. I like my landscapes needle sharp and often, the Canon 75-300mm doesn't produce the high quality imagery I like. BYW: a long focal length can be often great for landscapes.

Although I do like a backpack for traveling (I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW which fits great in the carry-on luggage compartments of most airliners) I don't really like a backpack while I am out shooting. It is too hard to access the gear from a backpack. I tend to use either a Domke F-2 over the shoulder bag or just carry my extra gear in a Domke photo vest while I am shooting.

I would check the weather. It is getting into the Fall season in NZ and possibly, there might be some percipitation. I guess it would depend on which Island you are visiting and what part of the island you are shooting in. An OPTECH Rainsleeve is a lightweight and inexpensive choice for protection from occasional percipitation. However, a more rugged cover like the Kata Rain Cover would be the ticket if you expect more than the occasional drizzle.

I have a small MP3 player (8G Sansa Clip) which I love for traveling. I like having some music and/or a recorded book or two for enjoyment on the long plane rides and interminable waits in the airports but, also for recording information regarding my shots. The Sansa Clip is a tiny unit which clips on to my shirt (thus the name "Clip"). It can, in addition to playing music and recorded books, be used as a voice recorder. Recording information about your images can increase the enjoyment after you arrive back home. I wish I had one on a previous trip to China.

Finally, are you going to take a notebook computer to use in downloading your images? That would come in handy. However, don't forget that the electric plugs in NZ might need an adapter (depending on what type plugs you use at home right now), If you are in the UK, there will probably be no need for an adapter.

I am anal about redundancy of equipment...

I always carry an extra battery charger for my camera battery. I keep remembering a post from someone in Nepal or some such area who either lost or damaged his charger. He was frantically seeking a replacement. Of course, NZ would probably have a greater availability but, an extra charger is cheap enough and could save a lot of trouble seeking a replacement...

Finally, for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, a second camera body is always a good idea. I saved an Alaskan photo trip by having a second camra when I fell on a slippery Kenai Peninsula slope and broke my camera. Even an inexpensive used Canon 350D (Canon XT) could be a lightweight backup...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 19th March 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Since this is a very important trip, and you mentioned "I want to make sure I return with the absolutely best pictures I can get." ...
    Wow! Lots of great suggestions! Rain sleeve, very important! Thank you, Extra charger, great idea! The backpack isn't the most convenient form factor, but I'll be trekking many miles, including one 13 mile Alpine Crossing, so it is the most ergonomic. I do have a messenger bag that I might bring for more leisurely outings.

I know what you mean about the 70-300, it's not the greatest, I hadn't considered the IS version mainly because I didn't think it would be any different aside from the IS. Is it really a better lens?

I am taking a notebook with me, but it won't be hiking with me! So downloads occur at the room each evening.

I hadn't thought about taking voice notes, not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, my backup camera will be a point and shoot. I can't spend the cash on another body right now, I need some to spend in NZ!

Thanks for your input, there's definitely a few things there for me to consider!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Michael,

I'm in Nelson (top of the South Island). Which parts of NZ are you visiting?

Some NZ scenes for you ...

http://www.pbase.com/cjsouthern/all_images

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Michael,

I'm in Nelson (top of the South Island). Which parts of NZ are you visiting?
    I'll be spending the majority of my time on the North Island, in Auckland, Rotorua and Pahia.

I'll have just 3 days on the South Island during which I'll be driving from From Christchurch to Franz Josef to spend a couple days among the Glaciers. Then it's off to Fiji for another 3 days.

If you have any suggestions on things I absolutely HAVE to see and shoot, I'm open to suggestions

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltrefry View Post
    I know what you mean about the 70-300, it's not the greatest, I hadn't considered the IS version mainly because I didn't think it would be any different aside from the IS. Is it really a better lens?
    Hi Michael, the lens Richard is referring to is a totally different lens. The 70-300mm is a considerable step up from the more entry-level 75-300mm.

Real Name
    Andrew

Michael, if you pack like this - I think you'll be ok!!

image source: 'My Sports Shooter'

Real Name
    Greg

Wow! Lots of great suggestions! Rain sleeve, very important!
    FWIW Michael, I heard on the news at the weekend that the entire north island has been drought declared.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    FWIW Michael, I heard on the news at the weekend that the entire north island has been drought declared.
    Not sure if that's still officially the case, but here in Nelson we were in much the same situation, but have just finished a couple of days of pretty heavy rain -- so I think they'll be right for a while. It's more of a problem for farmers -- for most of the others it only means water restrictions on things like watering gardens etc.

We seem to get these pretty much every year -- and every year the rain comes.

Real Name

I'll be spending the majority of my time on the North Island, in Auckland, Rotorua and Pahia.

I'll have just 3 days on the South Island during which I'll be driving from From Christchurch to Franz Josef to spend a couple days among the Glaciers. Then it's off to Fiji for another 3 days.

If you have any suggestions on things I absolutely HAVE to see and shoot, I'm open to suggestions
    Ah - being a JAFA for a while (just another fabulous Aucklander!). Personally, not a big fan of the place -- too big and takes too long to get anywhere. Usual tourist shots will be of the sky tower and harbour bridge at night. Rotorua can be very "sulphury" - haven't been to Pahia for many a year.

On the glaciers - please - keep behind the ropes. We had someone almost killed a few months ago just "ducking under the ropes to get their photo taken". Christchurch will have you shaking in your boots - literally

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Michael, if you pack like this - I think you'll be ok!!

image source: 'My Sports Shooter'
    Sigh, if only someone had told him about zoom lenses and teleconverters!

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

.. would go with Andrew'w idea, but might load up on spares a bit more

Did not get to read all the replies but did not see a graduated ND on your list Would get the 4X5 and don't even need a holder but does make it easier !! Will be using most of the time !

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I would also load a depth of field calculator on your smart phone and a tape measure to calculate hyperfocal distances for different lenses and apertures. This will allow you to take photos that are sharp from close-in out to infinity.

Karm

Real Name
    Noel

A tripod and a small ballhead. Cable release/remote. Small LED light (or headlight with white and red LED) if you plan to shoot twilight/after dark. I travel often for business and I have a tripod + ballhead that goes with me in my carryon.
    Enjoy shooting!