Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Abandoned

Real Name
    John

Abandoned

Abandoned
    f/16, 1/50sec, ISO 1600, 40mm
    This is cropped from the image below. Should I eliminate the gate entirely?

Abandoned

Screenshot of above image. FastStone software displays # of colors. Does this refer to the actual colors in the image or numbers captured per pixel? RAW files show twice those captured by the jpeg.

Abandoned

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Abandoned

Very nice conversion that works so much better for me than the color version.

When I saw the second image, I understood how you created the first image. However, when I saw the first image before having the luxury of having seen the second image, I thought it was a vignette gone awry.

Sorry, but I can't attend to the issue about the number of colors in the RAW version and the JPEG version. That's not within my knowledge base.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

John,
    I also prefer the B & W photo It works best with the title ("Abandoned") for me.
    The lossy compression, in converting RAW to JPEG (which is limited to a maximum of 8 bits per channel), causes the reduction in the number of colors.
    Antonio.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Very nice conversion that works so much better for me than the color version.

When I saw the second image, I understood how you created the first image. However, when I saw the first image before having the luxury of having seen the second image, I thought it was a vignette gone awry.

Sorry, but I can't attend to the issue about the number of colors in the RAW version and the JPEG version. That's not within my knowledge base.
    Thanks Mike, I tried other angles, even used another camera which got me a bit closer and lessened the framing from the gate.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    John,
    I also prefer the B & W photo It works best with the title ("Abandoned") for me.
    The lossy compression, in converting RAW to JPEG (which is limited to a maximum of 8 bits per channel), causes the reduction in the number of colors.
    Antonio.
    Antonio,

Thanks for the comments and information.

Real Name
    Lex

John,

I would eliminate the gate entirely. Environmental vignetting (using part of the scene to frame another part) can be highly interesting, but I don't think it works here. Probably because the vignette is very vertical. Too neat, if that makes any sense. I prefer the black and white version, but the shadows look too deep to me. The original shot looks a little underexposed, so that may not be recoverable, but you'd be surprised how much detail Photoshop can pull out of shadows. A little massaging of the Fill Light slider may be all you need.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    John,

I would eliminate the gate entirely. Environmental vignetting (using part of the scene to frame another part) can be highly interesting, but I don't think it works here. Probably because the vignette is very vertical. Too neat, if that makes any sense. I prefer the black and white version, but the shadows look too deep to me. The original shot looks a little underexposed, so that may not be recoverable, but you'd be surprised how much detail Photoshop can pull out of shadows. A little massaging of the Fill Light slider may be all you need.
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions Lex. I'll give it another shot, perhaps use a telephoto zoom.