Thread: All about the process

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

All about the process

I have retrieved an old image that I had put aside because I did not think it was viable. Having better skills, I cloned out the background, dodged and burned.

Please tell me what you think.

Before:
    All about the process

After:
    All about the process

Re: All about the process

I don't think it is a great photograph. The wing needs contract against the white background. The feathers need a lot more definition to combat the motion. The best part is the head. You might try to a different composition that cuts off below the wing and has the beak opposing the wing.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

There is no question that the revision is an absolutely huge improvement over the original. Congratulations!

Having said that, I look forward to seeing your post-processing skills being applied to images that started out better in the first place. My point is that even the very best post-processing skills have limitations when the original capture is as weak as in this case.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

(Sigh)

Ok. Thanks Alandb and Mike. It is so easy to get attached to an image because of the subject matter. It has been very hard for me to let go of this picture and as you can see, I have worked it to death to try to make it better.

(Sigh) I really appreciate your candidness. I will chalk this one up as a good learning experience.

Marie

Real Name
    Mark

Dont get down about it Marie, the otheres are correct but on the other hand this shows that your PP skills are immensely improved and i am sure that your photog skills have done the same. So get out there and capture some more stuff and amaze us with both of your skill sets.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree with Mike. You have demonstrated that, in post-processing you can get as much out of the original file as may be possible. The biggest challenge for us (and I struggled with it for a long time) is being able to let go of an picture that we've really wanted to work and be able to tell ourselves, "No, it's just not good enough".

I know I have some original RAW files that I can't make myself to delete. When I was less experienced I thought they were really good. Now I know they are not, but I am still attached to them.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Actually, Marie, I think it's great that you haven't let go of the photo. There really is no need to do that because every photo we make is a learning experience and some of the learning experiences have long-lasting impact on us for whatever reason. We should cherish both the photos and the reasons as part of our development as photographers.

As an example, I have the very first photo that I took using a digital SLR even though I accidentally deleted the original full-size file. I didn't keep it because because it's a great photo. (It's not.) I kept it purely for the nostalgia that it was a "first" in a long line of many firsts.

It's very possible that 10 or 15 years from now post-processing software might make it possible to bring out detail in a photo that simply can't be done today. Naturally, if that happens, that software will work the same magic on photos that started out better.

So, for whatever reason, be happy about your photo. As you do so, keeping its quality, history, importance, etc., in perspective will help you enjoy having it even more.

Real Name
    Marie Hass

i am sure that your photog skills have done the same
    They have, Mark. Thank you.

Actually, Marie, I think it's great that you haven't let go of the photo. There really is no need to do that because every photo we make is a learning experience and some of the learning experiences have long-lasting impact on us for whatever reason. We should cherish both the photos and the reasons as part of our development as photographers.
    You are right, Mike. This was a grab shot, and I occasionally still bang my head up against the fact that trying to fix a grab shot that is already flawed isn't going to make it any better. I took this image 2 years ago, and for sure I have developed in my skills since then.

I know I have some original RAW files that I can't make myself to delete. When I was less experienced I thought they were really good. Now I know they are not, but I am still attached to them.
    True, Donald. This was a raw file that I could not make myself delete. Sometimes trying to separate out visceral attachment from technical merit is difficult. There is a story behind this image, but the fact that it does not speak so to others renders it important just to me.

I believe when we like/dislike an image, that is our visceral attachment. On the other hand, your description of
    really good
    embodies technical merit. Interesting. I posted this particular image because I was attached. I really didn't give a thought to technical merit! (laughs at self)

Thanks for the reminder to evaluate all aspects of the image.

Marie