Real Name
    Jon

Typical Pacific NW Hike

Typical Pacific NW Hike

Trail to Middle Falls of Wallace Falls. Goldbar Washington

Real Name
    David

Re: Typical Pacific NW Hike

Really like this shot. Could you provide us with any of the technical details? Settings? Overcast or what? I have been trying to get something like this for a little while now and can't seem to get it quite right. Not sure exactly why yet.

Thank you!

Dave

Real Name
    Terri

This is nice. I think it's difficult to get a great deep woods trail shot and this one qualifies.

Real Name
    Jon

David, I used a Canon 5D MK2 , 24-105mm @ 35mm, ISO 640 f/11 1/5 sec. Hand held braced against a tree. I will almost always have my 105mm polarizer when shooting under the Canopy in the NW due to wet foliage. It was foggy sunlit sky about 3:30 in the afternoon so the light was low angle. Processed in Aperture 3 and Viveza 2 plug-in for structure and shadow work with a bit of warming applied to the path.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by flechtight View Post
    David, I used a Canon 5D MK2 , 24-105mm @ 35mm, ISO 640 f/11 1/5 sec. Hand held braced against a tree. I will almost always have my 105mm polarizer when shooting under the Canopy in the NW due to wet foliage. It was foggy sunlit sky about 3:30 in the afternoon so the light was low angle. Processed in Aperture 3 and Viveza 2 plug-in for structure and shadow work with a bit of warming applied to the path.
    Thanks Jon, your info will help. I should be able to get up to what you have shot, I'm just down here in Southern Oregon. Archery and woodworking? I teach high school woodworking and have had a few longbows made in the past.....

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Great shot. Deceptively simple but very hard to get right. Well done.

Real Name
    Paul

Nicely done, Jon.

Real Name
    Steve

Not a typical hike around here. Very nice composition, jon. Shooting in the woods, is not easy.

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks all, I love hiking in the Northwest. I have a week of Desert hiking Planned for May. I've never Photographed in that environment, should be really different.

David, my high school woodworking teacher got me started in Archery back in the 70's. Made 5 recurves in shop, something I am sure you cannot do in todays world.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by flechtight View Post
    Thanks all, I love hiking in the Northwest. I have a week of Desert hiking Planned for May. I've never Photographed in that environment, should be really different.

David, my high school woodworking teacher got me started in Archery back in the 70's. Made 5 recurves in shop, something I am sure you cannot do in todays world.
    You're absolutely right. We used to be able to make gunstocks, longbows and such. Now the mention of a rubber band gun or a slingshot sends people running for a safe place. Too bad, there's a real art to longbows.

Real Name
    Jason

Well done shot. I am surprised you were able to achieve such sharpness with such a slow exposure.