Thread: Mouse

Real Name
    Roger

Mouse

Saw this mouse in the garden today..Taken through window hand held with SX50 shutter speed 125 apature 5.41 F stop 6.5 ISO 800 1249 mm 35 mm equivalent. Any comments welcome
    This is the original

Mouse

This has been cropped and a click on auto contrast using Pacasa

Mouse

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Re: Mouse

Hi Roger. It´s a nice small animal and you had a good timing shooting him!

Background is not helping very much, but there would be nothing to do, I guess, as you shot it through the window. Maybe (next time) getting out and, if he was still there, trying to avoid the branches and leaves.

One thing that you might consider is increasing your shutter speed when using such long focal distances, that will help you preventing shake effect/blur. I know the IS counts but still you did a very good job handhelding the camera with such combination of focal length (1200?) and speed (1/125). Firm arms! I would try at least 1/500 (considering the IS).

Ps.: The SX50 Max focal distance is 1200mm (FFE), so, the 1249mm informed might be incorrect. I am assuming you used the max focal length.

Thanks for sharing. Kindest regards.

Shooting through window glass will always result in quite a bit of quality loss so you have done well with this shot.

Possibly just a fraction of sharpening would be beneficial. Eg, Unsharp Mask at something like 100%, 1 radius and 1 or 2 threshold settings.

But can you do that with your software? If not, getting Elements or one of the similar alternatives would really be worthwhile because you are shooting some good photos.

Real Name
    Roger

Otavio,
    Thanks for your comments.

Ps.: The SX50 Max focal distance is 1200mm (FFE), so, the 1249mm informed might be incorrect. I am assuming you used the max focal length.

I beleive optical zoom is 1200mm but then you've got digital which goes up to about 5000mm, think I've got that right.

Roger

Real Name
    Roger

[QUOTE=Geoff F;295526]Shooting through window glass will always result in quite a bit of quality loss so you have done well with this shot..................Thanks for the positive comments

Possibly just a fraction of sharpening would be beneficial. Eg, Unsharp Mask at something like 100%, 1 radius and 1 or 2 threshold settings.

But can you do that with your software? If not, getting Elements or one of the similar alternatives would really be worthwhile because you are shooting some good photos.[/QUOTE].............Picasa does not have the capabilitys for that sort of editing, but I have got Serif photoplus, but never used it, time to start reading the books and as it's coming up to the show season (have got an old classic car and most weekends do shows) so will give me plenty of time. Thanks for your comments.
    Roger

Which version of Photo Plus, Roger?

I used it from version 8 to 13 and found it to be excellent. I wasn't keen on #14 although I still have it on this internet computer. There have been a couple of newer versions which I haven't tried.

After that I went to the full Adobe CS5.

The Help files for Photo Plus are comprehensive and really helpful. They also produced some booklets. There are options for basic editing and advanced level. I would recommended learning the advanced techniques as soon as possible.

In my opinion, that software is easier to learn than Photoshop, in its various forms but will do virtually the same as the equivalent Elements programmes. I wasn't keen on their Raw converter so used Raw Therapee instead.

But that probably won't matter for you at this stage of your learning.

Real Name
    Roger

Geoff
    I've got Serif Photoplus X5 also got the tutorials...........just had a quick look for Adobe CS5 seems to be out of stock.
    Roger

CS5 has recently been updated by CS6 so the older version may be harder to find now; although possibly a little cheaper. Still expensive though.

I think Serif have overcome some of the issues which made X4 less popular; so your X5 should do everything that you will need.

Is the latest Photo Plus X6? I let a friend try my X4 but he wasn't impressed with it. However, he eventually purchased the latest one and said it was much better.

And did you know that there is a Serif self help forum on their website for any questions which directly relate to using their software.

Real Name
    Roger

Geoff. X6 is the latest version they did offer it to me a reduced price some time ago but at that time was not interested, but they will be back again with a lower offer.
    As to there help line I think is very good the've helped me out a few times with the video software.
    Thanks for your help.
    Roger