Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rhododendron bud

Real Name
    Lynne

Rhododendron bud

Hi,

I would be grateful for freed back on my image of a rhododendron bud I took during a IGOTY workshop at Nymans National Trust garden on the 23rd February. It is SO cold, but a great day and this is the image I like the most of the five we had to take for feed back from Philip Smith.

Rhododendron bud

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Rhododendron bud

Hi Lynne,
    It's a nice shot but just a little soft in my opinion. I think if you were use an aperture of around f/11 you would get all of the bud in focus which is the focal point of the photo.
    I have the 90mm Tamron as well, great lens.
    Cheers, GReg

This is arranged to place the bud on a 1/3 line. Personally, I think that cropping a little tighter from the left edge and going to a 5 x 4 ratio, approx, concentrates the attention a little more and produces a sharper looking bud.

Which helps to overcome Greg's concerns.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Lynne. I agree with Greg in that the image is soft and nothing is sharplyin focus.

The most interesting part of this image is the bud and more specifically, the pinkish part of the bud. You might try moving in even closer so that the viewer gets a good look at the details in opening blossom. It would be OK to lose more of the leaves if the bud filled more of the more of the image. My two cents worth...

Real Name
    Lynne

Many thanks Guys, really appreciate your advice. I will tinker with the image as you advise and will try to find some more buds and other lovely flowers over the next few weeks and practice, practice, practice!