Thread: Children...how to improve my technique?

Children...how to improve my technique?

I want all critique I can get to improve my technique, angles, quality of the photos I take of my children and others.
    Last edited by JaimeDawn; 9th March 2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Can not figure out how to insert pictures from my computer files?

Re: Children...how to improve my technique?

[IMG]Children...how to improve my technique?[/IMG]

Real Name
    Paul

Jamie, I am not one for shooting people, however I notice both image are shot from above. In the first on I think it works ok. However most times with pets, children and animals it will be a more pleasing image if taken from their level. Try getting down on a knee. The from above may work on occasion but generally getting low will help.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Yes, getting down to their level is generally considered better. A viewpoint from above gives the image a sense of power over the child, and does not give much intimacy and in extreme circumstances can make for a photograph which is uncomfortable to view (thinking of a street photograph of a poor child looking up to the lens as an example - it makes a statement).

Think of taking shots as an environmental portrait. You want to shoot the subject in their environment and getting to their level immerses you in the world as they see it.

Time to start rolling around on the floor!

Real Name
    Kevin

I get as low as they get, and that may mean flat on my belly. But it just completely changes the perspective, and puts you in their world. We are used to looking down on kids- looking across or even up at them makes for very interesting shots. Your shots look like that's the only thing missing. Lot's of luck and fun.

Real Name
    pinaki

l agree with all of the comments above.Another point I want to add is keep an eye on depth of field. If you have scope of altering the aperture of your lens then wider aperture can turn the background slightly out of focus and enhance the portrait shots.Cheers!

Real Name
    Richard

An advantage of having an articulating finder is that it makes it easier to get down to childrens level without dropping to one's knees or straining one's back bending over. However, I use a right angle finder quite often which allows the same capablity....

Real Name
    Phil Page

I don't usually post pictures of my littl'un on here, but here are a couple from December which illustrate the difference:

Looking Down:

Getting Down:

Last edited by dubaiphil; 9th March 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

I notice that all the images posted are a bit on the soft side. Kids and pets are not different from birds, they move even if you think they are still. It is better that shutter speeds are kept as high as conditions allow.

A tip maybe worth passing on - one 20+ years family + kids + pets pro told me once that with digital he uses only one setting for outdoor work along with a good quality zoom lens. Always - ISO 800, f5.6, AV, spot metering the face. He will adjust only if he is looking for creative effects. Indoors depends on more variables so he adjusts as needed but always bounced flash.

Hope this helps.

2 really cute kids there btw.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Interesting comment, Bobo!

I think that at 1/100th, f2, ISO3600 with a 50mm handheld, using an off centre cross point focus point, this 200% crop is suitably in focus. I don't think it's user error or vintage 2008 low pixel count causing an issue here.

Obviously bounce flash and stopping down would be preferable, but there are plenty of times when you want to capture the moment and don't have a flash handy.

Real Name
    Bobo

A moment is a moment and we cannot lose that now can we.

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Outstanding images Phil and great suggestions.

Jaime One thing I try for kids is to be able to shoot fast and hardly ever use the viewfinder or LCD ... like to use a wide angle lens and point/shoot. With time you will be amazed at how accurate you will frame, particularly if using fixed focal length lenses.

Also aperture would be important, with with angle lenses can get lots of it if need but lots of wide open 1.4 works great.

Thank you all for the great advice...I have a lot of work to do if I want to master this photography thing.

Great examples...I definitely see the difference.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Practice having kids, so you have lots of opportunities for practice.
    Of course, having time to go along with said opportunities may be difficult.
    You could farm them out as photographic models, that way they also get babysat for free and you have more time on your hands .
    Graham