Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Great website for DSLR help

Real Name
    Sarah

Great website for DSLR help

Found this website while I was surfing for advice on DSLRs and wanted to share with everyone.

www.digital-slr-guide.com

It's been a big help to me as a beginner. Maybe some of your pros can check it out to verify that it's a good source for info.

Thanks!

SG

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Great website for DSLR help

I'm hardly a pro and this is my first post on this site.

But I have been taking pictures with SLRs as a serious hobby for 30 years, and I've been using DSLRs for 4 years, so I'll offer a few comments.

There's certainly some useful information on the site, but for a number of reasons, I wouldn't recommend it to someone as a "wizard" to be used when choosing a camera.

For example, you choose the manufacturer first: why? There are certainly reasons to choose a manufacturer (for me, I already had Canon lenses), but for someone stepping up from a point-and-shoot, it doesn't make much sense.

I also have doubts whether the person writing this site is a very serious photographer at all. In the discussion about megapixels, the discussion touches on image stabilization, but mostly talks about file sizes. There's no discussion of sensor size, image processors, noise, or other considerations around sensors. When discussing advantages of DSLR over compact cameras, there's a lot of time spent on shutter delay, and no discussion of having control over depth of field.

I don't mean to say that there's no useful information there, but if you have a friend who's thinking of envesting in a DSLR, I would recommend that they make the effort to read forums like this one: it will be worth the work.

Cheers!
    Rick

Real Name
    John

Re: Great website for DSLR help

The information is helpful but it shouldn't be used to help you choose a camera. The information is correct when it states "find out what type of photography interests you" but takes a mistep when it uses brand as a deciding factor. I think that is what rick55 meant in his post. Once you find out what type of photography you enjoy photographing you should determine what technology bests suits that style.