Thread: FREE editing software that works!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

FREE editing software that works!

Hi All,

Think I have stumbled on something that might interest those of you who are looking for editing software that does a good job – free of charge. You might not be able to manipulate images or work in layers, it is simple and does all the basics needed to enhance your images.

Whomsoever said white balance in a Jpeg cannot be corrected, think again. PhotoScape software does it and should do most for those of us who cannot afford Adobe CS6.

Go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_photoscape/ and download the latest version, if you are interested. IT IS FREEWARE. Try it.

Is anybody using it?

Real Name
    Dave

Re: FREE editing software that works!

I have been using Photoscape for a few years now and I agree it is excellent.

As you have outlined Andre it does have limitations but given those it a very good piece of software. I often find it does all I need and if I want anything more complicated then I use GIMP (which is also free).

Dave

Real Name
    Remco

Perhaps note that Photoscape is MS-Windows only; no use for us Linux users (nor for Mac users).

Real Name
    Kathy

For Linux/OSX users, I'd point to the open source Dark Table.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    For Linux/OSX users, I'd point to the open source Dark Table.
    Another nice freeware is the Photivo .
    [ ok with Linux/Windows/Mac ]

Good news for GIMP users, Photivo integrates easily into GIMP.
    check this link:

http://photivo.org/photivo/download_and_setup/gimp

Real Name
    Remco

I know (about) Darktable and Photivo...

All I wanted to point out was the OS limitations of Photoscape, I didn't imply asking for alternatives.

I just thought it might be nice when suggesting an application, to indicate the OS('s) for which it is available.

Real Name
    J stands for John

If you want layers, and I would hate not to have them, there is the free Paint.Net and GIMP.
    People spend hundreds on the camera and want an editor to cost little or nothing, little must they realise the importance and value of the good editor in the scale of things

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    People spend hundreds on the camera and want an editor to cost little or nothing, little must they realise the importance and value of the good editor in the scale of things
    Many members of CiC use very basic cameras. Many of us do not want to do extensive PP or manipulation of images. For those doing basic editing, free software is a very good option.

Adobe CS6 Photoshop cost R 8495.00 in SA. A brand new Nikon D5200 body cost exactly the same. Adobe CS6 Master Collection = R 32 995.00. Nikon D800 Body = R 31 895.00.

Where does this tip the scale?

Real Name
    Peter

If it works, great. I prefer Gimp though for my PP work. It has so many possibilities and in my view it pays off to invest learning time into that program if you are serious about the end results.

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    If it works, great. I prefer Gimp though for my PP work. It has so many possibilities and in my view it pays off to invest learning time into that program if you are serious about the end results.
    I downloaded the program and now I have a toolbar that I didn't ask for or want. As far as I'm concerned gimp is a virus!

Arnie

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieA View Post
    I downloaded the program and now I have a toolbar that I didn't ask for or want. As far as I'm concerned gimp is a virus!

Arnie
    Sorry to hear about that.

This happened to me several years back. I downloaded and installed a free firewall. Much to my surprise, when I re-started my pc, there was an additional toolbar on screen?!

A friend advised me to go to control panel and uninstall the toolbar program. He also said, the next time I download/install any software, to slowly and carefully read whatever the install procedures shows up on screen.

Usually, there are options that ask the user if he/she wants to install bla-bla-bla. One of these may be asking if you want to install , for instance, "do you want to install Question toolbar?" . Unfortunately, that time, I just whizzed thru the installation process and was impatiently clicking "NEXT" - "NEXT".

So , ever since, I take my time reading those options before clicking 'NEXT'.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Remco

Arnie
    Could you tell us where you downloaded the program (GIMP?)? It's the first time I hear of such a problem, and
    it sounds strange to me that the original authors/download site (http://www.gimp.org/) would stoop to such
    tricks. However, there are reports about third party sites adding some stuff (to say it nicely), one of them being -www.gimp.com-.
    (I added the '-' to avoid it being turned into a web link)

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Hi All,

Whomsoever said white balance in a Jpeg cannot be corrected, think again. PhotoScape software does it and should do most for those of us who cannot afford Adobe CS6.
    White balance CAN be changed in JPEG files; perhaps a more accurate statement is that JPEG files don't have the same latitude of adjustment as RAW files.

Many people can't afford CS6, and/or don't want or need the bells and whistles of CS6. Other options can be very useful. There are many Canon users that find that the rendition of colour is best done using DPP (Canon's software that comes with the camera).

Glenn

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Arnie
    You never download from a site you are not sure is a reputable download site. File Hippo.com will not give you virusus.

http://www.filehippo.com/software/ph...mages/editors/

Make your pick.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Comparing the cost of Photoshop to a camera, here is one. Take a course at a school and get CS Extended Student Edition, you get the program learn how to use it and all for less than a D5000. That is here in Canada I do not know about South Africa, on how easy it is to find a school that teaches a photography course.

Cheers:

Allan