Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sigma 30mm F1.4 old or new art version?

Sigma 30mm F1.4 old or new art version?

Hey there, I previously asked for advice on which lens I should get as my first prime lens and decided on the sigma 30mm 1.4. I've been waiting for the price release on the new art version and now it's out at $499. The old version is retailing for $289 USD. Is the price difference worth it?

Given that this lens is gonna be with me for a long time, and I have no plans to upgrade to a fullframe as yet.
    I use a canon 650d/T4i Thanks!

Re: Sigma 30mm F1.4 old or new art version?

There are improvements of course, but given that the lens is relatively new, there aren't available information on the internet yet. I think I'd suggest renting the lens first and checking it out if it's worth your money. Good luck! I have a blog: http://shootdigitalpicslikethepros.c...-forum-support

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Sigma 30mm F1.4 old or new art version?

Quote Originally Posted by andria View Post
    I . . . decided on the sigma 30mm 1.4. I've been waiting for the price release on the new art version and now it's out at $499. The old version is retailing for $289 USD. Is the price difference worth it?
    IMO, based upon the papers and specs only: No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chase View Post
    There are improvements of course . . .
    What exactly are the improvements which you consider - "of course”?

The change from 8 to 9 blades is arguable a severe retrograde step for their “performance ART SERIES cutting edge Standard Prime Lens”

WW