Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cascades

Real Name
    Donald Chesnut

Cascades

The cascades at West Milton, Ohio. This is a 7 shot HDR image processed with Photomatix. I used Topaz Adjust and painted the effect into certain areas that I thought could use the effect. I also used Topaz Adjust on the water and painted the effect in at low opacity. Just tried to keep the adjustments subtle and not overdone. Comments apprreciated.
    Cascades

Real Name
    John

Re: Cascades

Very nice, I like the sharpness within the wispy waves.

Real Name
    Dan

I like the processing. The composition is a bit awkward IMO. The diagonal flow across the frame works but I'm left wondering what it looks like to the left and top.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's a very interesting and satisfying approach to dealing with the water that suits the waterflow very well. However, the greens are overly saturated to my taste.

Real Name
    David

When I saw the title of "Cascades" I immediately thought of the Cascade Range where I live in Oregon. So...I decided to take a look at your post. I was pleasantly surprised with your image. It has all of the technical details in place and is a wonderful image. I would agree with Dan (northern focus) though, in that composition could be improved.

Let me start by saying that I do not have the compositional skills necessary which would allow me to suggest exactly HOW you could improve this aspect of the image. I have simple been looking at hundreds and maybe thousands of images lately in order to learn more about nature and landscape photography ( I am a lowly, former sports photographer). So when I look at your image I wonder, what is the central point of attention? What are you using to draw me into the shot? This is exactly what I am trying to bring into my photography. Attention to the details of composition and the overall question of "why did I take this shot and why would anyone want to look for more than a few seconds at it". All I can tell you is that I have yet to find an answer to that question when it comes to my own photography.

Please keep doing what you are doing and keep us posted on your progress. I would love to learn from you.

David