Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: EXIF query

EXIF query

Hi all,

I did have a quick question in the meantime. I notice that in some of the forums, members say that exif data is available for some of the posted photos. (I think I'm more familiar calling this metadata). How would I go about accessing that data for a given photo? or is this a privilege reserved for administrators? Just curious to learn from others' success.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 9th November 2009 at 11:18 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: EXIF query

Hi Mike,

I hope you don't mind me moving this part over here - you'll get more chance of varied answers here than in the welcome and intro thread in the Common room.

I would say that EXIF data is an implementation of metadata in the purist sense- so yes, we are talking about the same thing

THE most thorough EXIF viewer I know of is this one;
    http://regex.info/exif.cgi

You can add a button to the toolbar of Firefox (at least) or just save this url as a favourite.
    Then you can use the box at top left to point to either a file on your HDD or an image on a webpage and it will display all the EXIF data there is. Sometimes this is a lot and other times very little.

Here's an example of one of my web images

As you can see, the most useful stuff is assembled in the first box, but there is loads more below. It takes some study of different files to be able to interpret what's going on, but it can be useful. there is everything from the camera's serial number to (in this case) most of the PP settings I used in Elements 6!
    From your other post tonight - there is even the hyperfocal distance and circle of confusion calculated, however, this image was re-sized (down to 800px), so for this it is presumably inaccurate for my lens/camera.

It's not restricted to moderators, but we do find it useful when photographers post images with problems, to help diagnose what went wrong, or what could be improved.

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 9th November 2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: metadata sentence added

Hi Mike

Also available is Opanda Exif viewer
    Once installed, you can right click on an image, select and see the main Exif data (camera, focal distance, fstop, aperture etc). Can be used in either IE or FF (with the FF addon, available from the site).

I use PhotoMe (http://www.photome.de/). It's free, and acts as a plugin to Internet Explorer. You simply right-click and image and click 'Open in PhotoMe' and it shows you all the EXIF data.

Thanks everyone for the plug-ins/websites & etc...

Off to search the web and learn a thing or two about taking a good shot!

If you download the image, Windows (XP or higher) can tell you some basic exif data too (camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, software etc.). Just right click it -> Properties -> Details. I wish there was exif metadata about if I was using a tripod for the shot because I never remember it :P Also if only my camera had a GPS.. I always think I will remember the place, and then end up viewing shots and trying to figure out where they were taken..

Quote Originally Posted by agaace View Post
    If you download the image, Windows (XP or higher) can tell you some basic exif data too (camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, software etc.). Just right click it -> Properties -> Details. I wish there was exif metadata about if I was using a tripod for the shot because I never remember it :P Also if only my camera had a GPS.. I always think I will remember the place, and then end up viewing shots and trying to figure out where they were taken..
    Some cameras let you plug in a GPS. I plug my GPS into my 5dMkII when ever I'm out and about. Otherwise I do traditional geotagging (i.e. click a spot on google earth and it embeds the location into the raw).

What I would like to see is a working version of the map utility for Adobe Bridge that runs on CS4 (the one out there only works on CS3 ). Also, adding RAW support to Google Earth would be awesome too

If you view the EXIF on some of the photos I have in my galery you'll see GPS data that was embedded through the camera Neat stuff.

for me I use 2 in firefox. One is ExifViewer and one is FxIF. They both do same thing but slightly different. I did have one somewhere that popup tooltip on hover but can't remember what it was. It was part of my desktop environment thoug hand not a browser so was more handy for images on my comp to check them at a glance.