Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What Pen tool do you use for image editing?

Real Name
    Ali

What Pen tool do you use for image editing?

I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun size Pen tablet that I use all the time and am happy with. I am thinking of upgrading it to one of the latest models. I am sure a lot of you here on this forum use one model or another but it is one of those thing no one talks about usually.

I would be very interested to know what brands and models people use and if they are happy with it or not.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: What Pen tool do you use for image editing?

A Microsoft wireless optical Mouse ftw.

Umm I believe there is a topic in the archives of some relation to this, check it out using the search function. If you have no luck I have a surefire way of getting there.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Tip for searching (many will know this already) put a star (asterisk) each side of the word for more results; so *tablet* in this case.

I think I can remember that we were discussing a similar topic fairly recently.

Anyhow, I did use a Wacom A5 tablet but found it a bit small and difficult to be accurate when drawing to a line. A 12 x 9 ins Tevion tablet worked fine and was a bargain at £25 (or there abouts) but it only lasted 2 years. Although that still works out at good value.

Recently I acquired a secondhand Wacom 12 x 12 ins tablet which is excellent; but I shudder to think about the new price!

All in all, it rather depends on what you want to do with this equipment. If you need to create some very accurate selections or semi transparent masks, etc, then it is worth investing in a decent piece of kit which is of a practicable size; but if you just want an alternative to a mouse, then one of the smaller and cheaper units will be sufficient.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    ...but if you just want an alternative to a mouse, then one of the smaller and cheaper units will be sufficient.

Thanks, Geoff. That is almost what I do, I do usual editing stuff that can not be done easily using a mouse but I usually don't do graphic work that needs a lot of accurate selection.

The prices are sure very high, the one I was thinking of buying is around $400 and I was thinking if it is not that different from what I have (was looking for someone who has actually made the move from the Bamboo to a better one) then I should just stick to what I have as it is working fine.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Tip for searching (many will know this already) put a star (asterisk) each side of the word for more results; so *tablet* in this case.
    Thanks Dave. I will try to find the thread and see if I have more questions.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by iPhillip View Post
    A Microsoft wireless optical Mouse ftw.

Umm I believe there is a topic in the archives of some relation to this, check it out using the search function. If you have no luck I have a surefire way of getting there.

Thanks, Phillip!

I am not sure if a mouse works that accurate and if it is easy to use it for hours wihtout getting pain in the wrist and fingers. I used to use a mouse and I had so much problem with my joints I had to switch to the tablet.

Real Name
    Bill

I just bought my first Pen Tablet yesterday. I got the Wacom Intuos.4 (SMALL)

I haven't played with it much yet, but look forward to using it. Have been eyeing them for a while now.

Any tips for a new guy with these things?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    I just bought my first Pen Tablet yesterday. I got the Wacom Intuos.4 (SMALL)

I haven't played with it much yet, but look forward to using it. Have been eyeing them for a while now.

Hi Bill,

Cory Barker has about a 1 hour video on the Kelby Training site on it (paid subscription required, but you can just join for a month if you want).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep. Persevere in the early stages. It is a different way of working and I found that it was easier sometimes to utter a naughty word and revert to using the mouse.

But, it's worth it. It's a different way of operating and once you get used to it (and for me it just started to be easier to use than the mouse), you'll wonder how you managed without it.

I've got a Bamboo. Has Wacom discontinued it, because I don't see it for sale on any of the sites?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I've got a Bamboo. Has Wacom discontinued it, because I don't see it for sale on any of the sites?
    Still around.