Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Como Marina - Georges River Monochrome

Real Name
    Graham

Como Marina - Georges River Monochrome

This is on the river near home. Shot from a jetty looking across the marina towards the railway bridge. It was a bright sunny morning last month and the contrast was high, though medium format film seems better able to cope than 35mm. I am still experimenting with my scans.

Como Marina - Georges River  Monochrome

I have just scanned this from Ilford XP2 400ASA film. No conversion used - just removed the colour cast from the film stock. It was shot using a 2 stop red filter hence the dark sky and clear clouds.

Graham

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Como Marina - Georges River Monochrome

Very nice scan with rich tones and dynamic range!

I have to ask, though: what is the subject?

Real Name
    Graham

Thanks,

I am really just re-aquainting myself with B&W film. The subject was just the clouds, the glassy water and the reflections and to some extent the general scene of a morning by the river pool and the marina. I have more B&W film loaded and I will have another go at a different set of challenges. Most of my monochrome work in the past was street photography. The camera I am using is medium format and doesn't lend itself to street use. With all of this digital I seem to have lost my monochromatic eye aside from the occasional image which calls out to be converted.

By the way the fence separates the swimmers from any stray sharks. Years ago this was necessary, but shark populations are much lower now, even endangered.

Graham

Real Name
    Noel

hi Graham,
    That is a really nice shot, which does not appear to have lost anything in scanning. May I ask what scanner and software you use?
    - Noel

Real Name
    Graham

Como Marina - Georges River Monochrome

Thanks. I use an Epson V700 and Silverfast software. An important part is the holder and anti newton ring glass from better scanning.com
    Graham