Thread: DNG in Elements

Real Name
    John

DNG in Elements

Hi Everyone,
    I have both Lightroom and Elements 11 on my computer, my problem is that elements does not show thumbnails of a any files that are dng. All I can see is a "montage " that is like a marigold? I know this is probably something very simple, but I can't seem to get it sorted. All other files show a thumbnail image - it's just the dng ones that are on the computer.
    Any advice would be most welcome - thank you

John

Real Name
    Greg

Re: DNG in Elements

Hi John, I don't know about Lightroom, but when this occurs in Bridge you have to tell it to redraw the thumbnails. I'm not sure right now ... nothing in Bridge menu is leaping out at me ... it might be 'purge cache' ... In any case I assume there is a similar function in LR.

Real Name
    Allan Short

John: What I believe has happened it you have lost the link to the images. If you load images through elements and save them through elememts than it knows where to find the file. I will assume that you saved them to DNG's in Lightroom, so Lightroom than saved them someplace on your computer. I would suggest that you let lightroom do all the organizing and saving of files. The only thing Elements is for is for what lightroom can not do in post production. That also means do not use the organizer that is associated with Elements.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Richard

Elements Organizer IMO is a big PITA in that you must load and delete images through Elements or you have all kinds of problems. You can however, remove Elements Organizer from the equation. However, I tried to do this one time and it screwed up the entire Elements.

I far prefer using Adobe Bridge and Photoshop to work with my files...

I also don't like that after you have edited a file in Elements, you cannot just save the file and write over the original file. I am sure that this is a way to prevent people from inadvertantly deleting the files. However, I like working with Photoshop in which I can just save the new file and it will replace the older file that I had been working on. Since I always shoot in RAW, I always have the original RAW image to which I can revert...

Real Name
    Arslan Türegün

Hi,
    I don't know anything about LR and Elements but whenever I format my HD or start working with a new computer, the first thing I do is to install DNG codec (can be found here --> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5495 ).
    That would show DNG files in the Windows Explorer as images. Maybe it would be a solution for your problem.
    Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Greg and Allan and Richard,
    thanks for replying. I am going through the (steep) learning curve of lightroom but must admit that I have got into the (bad) habit of opening elements without thinking. Had it before lightroom!
    Richard,
    I have now put a post it on my screen to remind me to use lightroom 1st (can't stretch to photoshop unfortunatley).

Arslan,
    thank you, the link worked perfectly and I can now see the thumbnails in elements.

John

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Elements Organizer IMO is a big PITA in that you must load and delete images through Elements or you have all kinds of problems. You can however, remove Elements Organizer from the equation. However, I tried to do this one time and it screwed up the entire Elements.
    I second that whole-heartedly! I had PSE7 and the Organizer was out of control. So I downloaded PSE8 and wife accidentally used the Organizer and that was it - 100 years to start up, always having un-check the "save in the Organizer" box, etc, ad naus.

My solution was to buy PSE6 on a CD (eBay, $15) and never, ever, use the @#$%ing Organizer. Said disk has been re-loaded into 4 succeeding computers, loads fast and does everything I need after upgrading ACR to 5.4 (highest possible with PSE6, gotta love Adobe).

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by arslanturegun View Post
    Hi,
    I don't know anything about LR and Elements but whenever I format my HD or start working with a new computer, the first thing I do is to install DNG codec (can be found here --> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5495 ).
    That would show DNG files in the Windows Explorer as images. Maybe it would be a solution for your problem.
    Cheers,
    Does anyone know if there's a codec to view { CR2 + XMP } in Windows Explorer ?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Ati View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a codec to view { CR2 + XMP } in Windows Explorer ?
    At this link Chris: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=26829

Not sure what it does with the metadata though.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    At this link Chris: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=26829

Not sure what it does with the metadata though.
    OK, quick answer is that it ignores the .xmp file, as does every other way of viewing the CR2 (picasa viewer, CNET downloads...) that I've found. I guess that's a convincing reason to work in DNG rather than {CR2 + XMP}. Particularly as elsewhere in this thread it's been said that PS Organiser is a PITA

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Ati View Post
    OK, quick answer is that it ignores the .xmp file, as does every other way of viewing the CR2 (picasa viewer, CNET downloads...) that I've found. I guess that's a convincing reason to work in DNG rather than {CR2 + XMP}. Particularly as elsewhere in this thread it's been said that PS Organiser is a PITA
    I actually don't see the issue here as a RAW file is simply camera data and it does have to be interpreted to be viewed. Until I finish processing the RAW file and turn it into an image, I is really a work in progress. To see it properly, it really has to be opened up in PP software and the thumbnail I get from the MS codec is more than adequate for me to identify the contents of the specific file.

A DNG file is just a RAW file in a different wrapper, so I don't see any benefits in this particular case (other than there is even less software out there that handles the DNG format versus the RAW).

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by jereve View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have both Lightroom and Elements 11 on my computer, my problem is that elements does not show thumbnails of a any files that are dng. All I can see is a "montage " that is like a marigold? I know this is probably something very simple, but I can't seem to get it sorted. All other files show a thumbnail image - it's just the dng ones that are on the computer.
    Any advice would be most welcome - thank you

John
    Somehow, on the second read, a tiny bell rang. Maybe you have to specifically instruct a thumbnail to be embedded? I'm going to try it with a NEF and an X3F. In my version of ACR the opened raw file can be saved as a DNG, and I also have Adobe's app. I haven't used either in a while. Meanwhile David Naylor said this in his blog, FWIW:

Previews and metadata

DNGs will [?] contain a preview JPEG (tiny, medium or full size) and all the metadata of the original raw file, plus any metadata you want to add such as keywords, titles, captions or develop settings. For anyone using Adobe Lightroom, Bridge or Camera Raw this means that you’ll have one DNG file instead of a CR2/NEF image file and an XMP metadata file next to it.

Also, when you’ve changed the appearance of a photo you can render a new preview JPEG and embed it in the DNG. (In Lightroom: Right click and choose Metadata -> Update DNG Preview & Metadata.) I don’t know how NEFs work, but with CR2 files there is definitely no way of updating the embedded JPEG.

File size

DNG files are often smaller then the camera’s raw file. This is thanks to better compression, but also thanks to the possibility to use a smaller size JPEG than in the original.

I chose the medium JPEG size (1024 pixels I think) and the DNG files are on average 19 percent smaller than the CR2s from my Canon EOS 50D. My thinking here is that I don’t really need a full size preview in the raw file once I have it on the computer. In the camera it’s a different matter – there I need the full size preview to be able to check focus. And even if I do choose to embed a full size JPEG the DNG ends up ~10% smaller.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I'm going to try it with a NEF and an X3F. In my version of ACR the opened raw file can be saved as a DNG, and I also have Adobe's app.
    I opened an X3F in ACR 5.4. While there, I saved it as a DNG, selecting the "medium" pre-view. Then I went to PSE 6 and went to the "open" dialog, et voila!

DNG in Elements

If it shows the pre-view in the open dialog it should show it elsewhere, IMHO. No, I am not going to open the Organizer!